Earthage 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Earthage 101

A creationist forum to discuss how old the Earth is...All about how God may have done it. No argument whether God did it. We all believe he did.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Young Earth or Old Earth? Here is where to post your thoughts!

+7
InfinitLee
Rob
flyin2orion
BrokenMan
stu
lordfry
Admin
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down  Message [Page 19 of 40]

451Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty Mind is only Evolved Brain? Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:32 am

stu

stu

This is the prevailing monistic scientific view, but it is not the consensus view as I will show in my next post. As a dualist, I reject this view and believe the Bible cannot be made to accommodate it.

The following paragraph is taken from the introduction to a Teaching Company course -- Origins of the Mind -- taught by Dr. Stephen Hinshaw out of UC Berkeley.

Our minds ... are not disembodied entities completely separate from our brains. Rather, they are a rich, diverse, and utterly complex set of mental and emotional experiences that originate in our brains and interact with our surrounding environment.

... the mind works on two key scales ...

• The evolutionary scale (phylogeny): This scale offers you a captivating window into how minds evolved over hundreds of millions of years and led to the development of brain plasticity, intense emotional bonds, complex executive functions, the potential for culture and invention, and more.

• The individual scale (ontogeny): This scale shows you how changes made on an evolutionary level unfold throughout a single human lifespan, from infancy to adolescence to adulthood to advancing old age.

Although I respect Lee's continuing attempt to inject God into these monistic theories, the best he can do is have God play some behind the scenes role, reprogramming natural laws. That is a very unsatisfying compromise and, as pointed out by Bret, more deistic than theistic.

Last edited by stu on Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : elucidated my view)

http://christperspectives.wordpress.com

452Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty Amen brother Bret Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:50 pm

sumiala

sumiala

I like that cartoon from the 22nd century, about the fairy-tale for grown-ups, that humans are the descendants from and apelike creature. I should look it up again.

453Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty *** Perpetuating the Galilean MYTH *** Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:14 pm

lordfry

lordfry

Stu ...

I think that you've been quite brilliant with your arguments against Lee's
strict Naturalistic explanation for the existence of the Human Soul!
I still don't see how Lee's description of God's method of Creation differs
from accepted definitions of Deism ???
So ... I hate to bring this up (again)... as to offer a diversion for Lee to
change the Topic ... so he doesn't have to address your excellent point!
But ...
the accepted historical distortion about the implied "Moral" of the Galileo
vs. Christianity story has to STOP !!!
Here's the whole story ... in chronological order:

1st ... Because it's not possible for us to detect the motion of the Earth
it was a common sense (natural) conclusion that the Earth must be stationary!
Nobody had a problem accepting this assumption ... as far back as recorded history goes!

2nd ... In 140 C.E. Claudius Ptolemy proved the immobility and the centrality of the
Earth in the universe! He set out the planetary geometric models to which astronomers
would refer until the 16th century!
http://catalogue.museogalileo.it/biography/ClaudiusPtolemy.html

3rd ... Some (well meaning) Catholics discover some Bible passages that (when taken
out of context) appear to support the widely accepted (mathematically proven) Scientific FACT
that everything rotates around a stationary Earth!

4th ... Galileo discovers (after 1500 years) that SCIENCE made a mistake !!!

5th ... Because the Catholic Church made the mistake of believing Science's best
guess about our Solar System (which they believed was the entire Universe) ...
and then twisted Scripture to prove that God is no idiot ... they were now faced
with either ... eating some crow ... or silencing this discovery !!!

The rest of the story is pretty well known!
But ... the REAL "Moral" of this story is ...

NEVER try to reinterpret the Bible just to get it to align with the best guesses
that Science has to offer this week !!!
You're NOT doing God any favors by trusting the changing winds of Scientific theories
over the UNCHANGING foundation that is God's Word !!!

"So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth."

Bret* 2010

454Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty Lee -- Science of the gaps Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:29 am

stu

stu

I think I understand that you and other Christian scientists are attempting to save the faith from embarrassing situations as what happened with Galileo, i.e., Christians giving "God of the gaps" or "explanations without knowledge" only later to be shown that science fills the gaps with completely rational and verifiable explanations. I applaud that motivation --- to a point. Then it becomes a danger.

What I don't understand is why you think your explanation of "'Divine guided dualistic information processing by material systems" is any less God-of-the-gaps than mine. Your hypothesis just hides the "God-thing." And it brings confusion to believers. Witness Francis Collins and other theistic evolutionists (broadly defined) -- they want it both ways. When in Athens (the culture) they can be the celebrated scientist, and when in Jerusalem (the church) they can be the serious Christian. But when their scientific and biblical ideas don't fully mesh they respond with a "Science of the gaps" explanation which just papers over the Creator.

In my view God is directly involved with His creation and in full view through both science and the Bible. Yes there are "singularities" when the two views (dualism) do not fully connect (gaps) -- but so what? One follows the evidence wherever it leads. Believers will be led to awe and worship. Materialists will be led to ignore, reject or attack any non-materialistic explanation. Division is good -- that's why it's called dualism and not monism.

As I understand your view, God is behind the scenes manipulating the "information" to control the physical laws of the universe -- correct? There is nothing scientific about that theory. How could it ever be falsified? It is as much a statement of faith as mine ( God is a "Mind" who controls). Your proposition just "hides" the Creator from direct criticism with scientific words that can't be challenged (like "information processing"). Do you really want that kind of obfuscation?

This seems to me no better than Dawkins agreeing that material processes on earth cannot possibly explain how life began, but since it happened it must have taken place on some other planet. We all see through that, but he gets a free ride because it can't be confronted directly. (The same can be said for science's "infinite regression" (who created God?), and the "multiple universes hypothesis" to explain the anthropic principle.) None of these are really explanations at any fundamental level, but just sound as if they might be.

The worse result of not dealing directly with "the Gap" is that it confuses Christians -- particularly the young people. They start thinking they too can have it both ways -- like Biologos -- which I consider a danger in the Church.

If I'm misreading what you are saying, please forgive me and correct my understanding.

455Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty genius Stu Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:09 am

sumiala

sumiala

sheer genius.

stu

stu

This conversation needs some Dilbert time --

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1992-07-20/

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1993-05-30/

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2003-02-10/

I agree with segments of what you have said -- "I believe there is a spiritual force, but it is one that God only controls ... I see God controlling nature and communicating with us using this communication force... He also accesses our information through this force ...."

Well, I call that force Mind. (But I bet you meant force in a different context.)

You say we have free-will (to decide with our mind) -- and so do I. But I say that also means our minds have control over matter since we were made in God's image. Isn't that what biblical morality, free-will and responsibility are all about?

You imply there is an "all natural solution for the mind's existence." That's just a speculative assumption of evolutionary psychology. Science has not proven that. And I have no idea how the Bible accommodates it. My view is --

The universe is derived from God's Mind

God made man in His image which included an image of His Mind

Our minds are not our brains. The brain is only the housing for our minds.

Mind/mind is sovereign over matter and science has not proven otherwise. How much evidence from neuroscience and evolutionary psychology do you want that they're stuck on this problem? In my view they will never solve it unless they forgo their dogmatic naturalistic assumption base.

Yes - I have a strong negative reaction to "meat computers" because as "I gaze into the Bible for a sign of spiritual forces" I am assured that I am not one! (Whereas much of science says that I am.) Rather, I was made in God's image -- to know Him, love Him and enjoy Him forever.

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1992-07-20/http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1993-05-30/http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2003-02-10/

457Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty Did I share this with you before? Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:54 am

sumiala

sumiala

458Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty Come on you Dutch!!! Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:59 am

sumiala

sumiala

Lee said "I believe there is a spiritual force"

What do you mean? You actually do not know? Shocked
Glad there is still an element of faith in your thinking Lee.

Lucien

InfinitLee

InfinitLee

Thanks Stu for sharing your views on spiritual forces. That was a nice start answering some of my questions and a good summary of your beliefs about the spiritual forces driving our eternal existance.  We have a way to go still since there wasn't much on how your hypothesized force operates and interacts with other forces or matter especially when you claim that they can't be measured using the existing laws. This seems contradictory to me, what is the basis for this claim.  

Your reference to a 'we are not a meat computer programmed with information' takes me by surprise after trying to state clearly that we are information totally independent of the machine. It seems as though you didn't understand this portion or much of my post regarding how information is independent of the physical laws yet can be modified by these laws and other information.  This information in our brain and bodies evolves throughout our lives through feedback, our decisions, experiences, and memory in our neural network. The 'program' (our information) is adaptive. We are certainly not programmed like robots.  That would eliminate free will.  Sorry, if I didn't make this clear.

Your reference to 'we are more than a meat computer' infers to me that you have bought into an atheistic distortion of truth: that an all natural solution for the mind's existance eliminates the possibility of God's existance. You must not believe that God made Nature and that the Laws are good enough for humans and their minds to exist. If I am wrong about this please tell why you have such a strong negative opinion about meat computers for humans as well as many other animals.  

You made the following statement which begins to define the differences in our views:
[Stu]- 'We are also "souls" who exist and operate simultaneously by forces of the invisible universe (mind), as well as by forces of the visible (physical) universe. The "forces" of Mind bring about action and result. These forces exist outside the 4 physical forces of the "visible universe," however leave behind physical (scientifically testable) evidence. '

Yet, in some ways, it seems like were looking at the same thing from two different perspectives. You define what I call 'information processing within the brain' as the 'mind' or a spiritual force.  Your view doesn't seem to be too far away from mine. You see it as an active dynamic force interacting with the other forces and influencing the natural result of the physical laws. I see the information as an inherent part of the organization of matter and energy. The forces being derived from energy created by God in the beginning within the structure of our dimensions and evolving into different forms of matter or information over time under his control of the existing forces as needed through miracles.  I believe there is a spiritual force, but it is one that God only controls to convey information into this universe at the quantum level. God may have addition controls on the physical laws like gravity as well.   I see God controlling nature and communicating with us using this communication force since all matter is believed to be quantized  and subatomic in nature. He also accesses our information through this force. I see no need for an additional force that cannot be directly observed or measured. But maybe you could convince me from some evidence for it, I'll try to remain open to you viewpoint, you must have something tangible to convince you so strongly that this extra force exists instead of just information as I claim.   

I am curious if you believe this mind force operates in any thinking animal like dogs and apes or just humans.  If not, what allows them to think?  Is it a different force or information imbedded in neural networks like I am claiming. 

Also, I am curious of your views on how this force interacts with the other physical laws since you state it is independent. There must be some kind of relationship to the other laws if one can affect the other which you also claim.  So they couldn't be totally isolated. If they aren't totally independent (isolated) there should be some way of measuring the effects of one by the other, since we can test the natural physical laws.  You claim that physicians and others claim this force exists, can you provide some evidence for it's existance since it interacts with material and energy in our universe?  Or is it as I have stated, a quantum network effect through the existing physical laws and the information in the human 'program' imagining new forces in nature. I'm sorry to press you on this, just trying to separate fact from fiction, testing everything and holding on to the good. 

Lee       

460Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty *** Modern Science has rigged the deck! *** Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:43 pm

lordfry

lordfry

Thanks Stu ...

For sharing your insights about Benedict Miller!
Because of the volume level issues and the subtlety of the comment ...
I totally missed this little jewel buried in the bile and brimstone!
Sadly ... the modern definition of Science is skewed away from the Truth!
ONLY NATURALISTIC EXPLANATIONS ARE ALLOWED ... by definition !!!
Which is why ... (modern)Science will NEVER find God ... and would reject Him if it did !!!
Add to this FATAL flaw ... the politicization of several fields of Science ...
and Satan's co-op is complete !!!
I would have to agree with Stu ... about not walking away from Science!
But ... I think that Lucien makes a great point about not letting ourselves
become trapped into accepting the FALSE biases of Modern Science as well!
Accepting ALL of Science's propaganda is just as WRONG as denying ALL of it !!!

Bret* 2010

461Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty Does it? Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:42 am

sumiala

sumiala

"but it [science] does make it possible to not believe in God."

I would disagree.
False science, yes.
True science, no.
But Who is the judge?
The only One who can be, whom every single person will face, after their first death.

Problem is that so many people are led astray by false science.

LT

462Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty Answer to Bret of June 27 Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:55 am

stu

stu

Hi Bret -- nice hearing from you on this topic.

What I saw in this enlightening 2 hour diatribe against Intelligent Design by Ken Miller was a hypocritical political rally, not a well-intentioned discussion about science and religion. But the "hypocritical" part only became obvious to me at 1:33:18 into the lecture (The Collapse of Intelligent Design delivered at Case University https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSg). It was brought out in the Q&A session by only one person (apparently a science professor) who made these excellent points:

Science has to become more sensitive to the fact at some level it is a religious belief. Science does not make it possible to believe in God, but it does make it possible to not believe in God. We scientists tend to be blasé to the fact that this is a threat to people's religious beliefs.

There is a dogmatism that pervades what we scientists say. We'll even go so far to say "there is no evidence for intelligent design." That simply is not true. It's not even a scientific statement. When we make those kind of statements it encourages a fear of science.

We must be more sensitive!

To which Miller replied somberly, "I would second your comments. They were very wisely stated." But then he immediately went back to pandering to his audience as he had for the previous hour and a half about his "The Collapse of Intelligent Design" dogma.

Miller wants it both ways. He relishes playing to his celebrity status as a "Christian" anti-science hunter, but when he heard the truth it did prick his conscience. Unfortunately his response was to only blink and then move on with his attack. It testified to me that perhaps our best apologetic is to plant those kind of truth seeds among the briars and hope that the blinks are picked up by the real truth seekers. As Christians, certainly our war strategy doesn't work; and neither does our running away from science. But I think our engagement with science, such as through the Intelligent Design Movement, brings honor to God and plants seeds of Truth in an otherwise sterile discipline.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSg

463Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty Answer to Lee of June 25 Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:46 pm

stu

stu

Dear Lee -- Please know that I was not trying to disparage you. You are my Christian brother. But I do get a little edgy when it appears to me you are putting scientific theory over God's clear word on a matter. Thank you for clarifying that you are not. If I have offended you, I am sorry. But I think you are clearly off-base in your analysis.

The "force" I am talking about, and for which you want scientific evidence, is "something testable, measurable and documented in a credible journal." (BTW please do not co-opt the word "force" to mean only the 4 forces of physics. I am using "force" in its general and well-accepted sense of "having the capacity to bring about.") This "force" operates 24/7 and there is "plenty of (evidence) to discover" about it. In fact, it's the "force" that you were using to "wildly speculate" in your last post.

MIND! To be more specific, God's Mind and the mental capacities he endowed mankind with through Imago Dei.

Mind is independent of matter and operates in another dimension -- although there are obviously places of intersection and overlap with the physical world. Matter does not create Mind. MIND is pre-eminent and creates matter (information too). The brain is only the physical home for the Mind.

As you point out, our bodies are physical. They operate, in biblical terms, the "visible universe," which is controlled by the forces of the "fixed laws of nature." MIND, on the other hand, controls the forces of our soul -- the spiritual side of our nature -- and governs our communication channel with God. MIND is non-physical; is co-existent with our body (Dualism); and is in biblical terms, the "invisible universe." It is the world of the spirit, the disembodied; and gives rise to what the neuroscientists call RSME (Religious, Spiritual, Mystical Experiences).

Jesus Christ is the creator of "all things in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible" (Col 1:16). The General Revelation (nature) tells us through science about the visible creation. Special Revelation (the Bible), however, tells us about the invisible creation. I think "information" then is the currency and communication channel between the two.

We are not just meat computers programmed with information -- that's the brain. We are also "souls" who exist and operate simultaneously by forces of the invisible universe (mind), as well as by forces of the visible (physical) universe. The "forces" of Mind bring about action and result. These forces exist outside the 4 physical forces of the "visible universe," however leave behind physical (scientifically testable) evidence. They include:
• consciousness and awareness
• thoughts, feelings and emotions
• spiritual connectedness to God and others
• subjective experience with private access
• intentionality -- will and decision
• free-will, morality, justice, love
• the afterlife and resurrection
• and yes, even "ghosts and demons"

464Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty *** Christian? Ken Miller? *** Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:10 am

lordfry

lordfry

Stu ...

I finally got around to watching Ken Miller's 2-hour attack on Intelligent Design!
Yes ... he's very bright & articulate ... but Christian ... I'm not so sure?
He says that he's Roman Catholic!
Which (in most cases) means that he's just an Agnostic who's hedging his bet!
Catholics (in general) do NOT believe in Biblical inerrancy!
And even when they do ... they're wrong ... as you yourself (nicely) pointed out in your
blog article about the origin & reliability of the Apocryphal Books!
Ken is a full-blown Naturalistic Evolutionist in a wool-sweater!
(Not even close to a full suit of believable Sheep's Clothing)
A very active & effective soldier in the army of the False Prophet !!! Twisted Evil
I have way more respect for someone like Richard Dawkins than Ken Miller ...
because at least Dawkins is honest about what motivates his relentless attack!
Ken had nothing nice to say about Christians and what motivates them ... NOTHING !!!
He even went as far as to call Christians disingenuous ... and even LIARS !!!
Two hours of the same ole Flawed Logic, Half Truths, & Ad Hominem Attacks !!!

Stu ... in your post about this Video (which is about 6-pages back now)... you said:

"It has helped me focus on what the real issue is which he doesn't even address --
and he gets away with it except for one very astute questioner at the end. I will
comment on that in future posts."

I would love to hear what it is that you were going to say?
I had a hard time hearing some of the questioners ... so maybe I missed it?
It sounded like a room full of God hating atheists to me?

Bret* 2010

465Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty *** Spirited thoughts about the Soul *** Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:16 am

lordfry

lordfry

Lee ...

Thanks for answering my questions so honestly!
The philosophical debate about the divergence between the Soul & Spirit
is one that usually transcends denominational eccentricities!
But ... when you try to ascribe their origins to naturalistic processes
(even if God is driving the bus)... then you're going to raise more than
a few Christian eyebrows my friend!
On just trying to clearly define a definition for each ... there is very
little disagreement about the fact that there really is NO agreement on
exactly how each is distinctly delineated?
The term "Soul" must have more than one definition (other than the bottom
of your shoe)... because you are correct about the Bible using this term
for animals as well as humans!
But ... I am asking (and I believe Stu is as well) about "Our" Eternal Soul?
Animals do NOT have an Eternal Soul ... right?
So ... I guess what it is about (your) Theistic Evolution explanation that
I'm really having a hard time understanding is ... "How did a non-eternal
creation "evolve" into an Eternal one" ???

As far as the Human spirit goes ... I believe this is that emotional "void"
that God created in Man to be filled with the external spirit or Spirit of
his choosing? Christians are filled with The Holy Spirit ... when they
actively pursue God's Will for their lives!
Before we come to know God personally ... we are either spiritually dead ...
(which is best described as that "empty" feeling of no self worth)
or we willfully invite an unclean spirit (a Demon) into that void as we seek
self gratification and self worth in the shallow selfish pursuit of wealth,
fame, or power that Satan loves to dangle in front of our sinful nature!
When your Soul & Spirit overlap (are virtually as one) this produces what
is most commonly known as an "On Fire Christian" !!!
When a Christian "back-slides" (and we ALL do)... the division between our
Soul & Spirit starts to widen ... from nanometers to something that you can
drive a bus through ... depending on how long and how steep the slide is?
Now ... I know that this explanation can NOT be cultured in a petri dish ...
or titrated for analysis by the white lab-coat crew!
But ... an honest Scientist knows that things do exist that are beyond the
limitations of accessible Scientific knowledge!
Remember this ...
Knowing everything about everything does NOT bring you closer to God?
Knowing everything about everything MEANS you're God !!!

Bret* 2010

466Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty Lee is gravely mistaken Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:15 pm

sumiala

sumiala

"our space telescopes can see back in time"

You are so so wrong here.
Telescopes exist in the present.
People using the telescopes live in the present.
The photons being detected exist in the present.

Your INTERPRETATION about the observed data is about the past.

Please, if you do not listen to me on any other topic, please understand this.
Observable data is great and the science used to obtain that data even more so.
However, interpretation of data is influenced by your worldview, so you and I may come to different conclusion with the same data.

I explained this before, but here I go again (see if you understood the above):

If you dig up a T-rex bone, do you dig up the past or the present?

Let me help you here:
Do you exist in the past or in the present?
Does your shovel exist in the past or in the present?
Does the bone exist in the past or the present?
Now, you may then say it is 65 million years old or more, but that is an interpretation.

So your telescopes do not see into the past. All the data they gather is in the present.

Lee, this is SOOOOOOO important.
People often refer to some of the fantastic technologies that exist today (empirical science) and then switch to saying that thus their historical science is reliable, but unfortunately that depends who is using the data; a YE or an OE, an atheist or a Christian.
Lucien

467Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty Helping Lucien Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:15 pm

InfinitLee

InfinitLee

Hi Lucien,

I am very sorry for leaving you behind in my dialogue with Stu. I'm trying to discuss some highly abstract concepts that I believe are important to the topic of mind body dualism. I just want to reassure you that I always place the Bible as the highest authority then nature in second place. Unfortunately, the Bible is almost silent on the important subject of dualism. If you know of more passages than what Stu cited. I would love to know what they are showing how dualism works in humans. Unfortunately, I know of just few others that only refer to it but don't describe how it works. I have had to invoke natural evidence in this case to address the subject. God has given me an intense curiosity on how everything works, and I apologize if I go beyond your comprehension level and interests. Hang in there, we will be through this esoteric topic soon.

On your last point about the beginning of the universe, I wasn't referring to the beginning but human capacity for intelligent thought which is on-going. Not sure how you missed that point. In any case, you may not be aware that our space telescopes can see back in time because of the transit time off light across the universe. In the next generation of telescopes, we expect to be able to see events that happened over 99.99% of the history of the universe (effectively 13.699 billlion years ago). All information colllected so far confirms a Big Bang occurring very close to 13.7 billion years ago. Sorry you don't believe any of this, you are really missing out on a lot of really cool discoveries about how God brought us into existance. We really do know a lot about the beginning of the universe, because we really can still observe the light from it long ago.

Lee

Last edited by InfinitLee on Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling &grammar)

468Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty Explanation for Bret Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:45 am

InfinitLee

InfinitLee

Hi Bret,

I define the difference between spirit and soul as Hugh Ross does. Soul is a mental awareness and caring of the observable world around us and the other beings in it. This is a capacity that a number of animals have as well. Spirit is solely possesed by humans as an awareness of God and other abstract concepts. It also involves caring about God and other abstract concepts such as good and evil, love and hate, money and poverty, etc. Since this definition has not been instituted during our posting, and not universally accepted, I have tended to use the two terms interchangably. I am curious why you ask.

Regarding the start of the universe, the laws need to be in place at T = 0. They were figured out by the Trinity before T=0 but began execution at T=0. This view is a Scientific inference by necessity since causal effects for all matter and energy derive from the physical laws.

Lee

469Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty oh dear oh dear, I actually read that... Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:37 am

sumiala

sumiala

Yeah Stu

haven't you read:
For God so loved information, that He...

I know we are not of this world, but brother Lee spans the crown.
He is so "out there" that he should probably witness to the cleverest 0.00000001% of the world's population who can begin to understand his fantastic elaborations.
As for the rest of us Christians, we should handle the rest!

Lucien
PS Lee, your statement "I'm looking for something testable, measurable, and documented in a credible journal because the Bible doesn't define this dualism further" once again proves to me that your faith is founded more on what scientists say than hat God has to say. If you get upset by me saying this, then don't be so blatantly open about it. Don't you understand that what happened in the beginning is NOT testable, is NOT measurable and is ONLY documented in God's Word. A man of your intelligence must be able to comprehend this.

InfinitLee

InfinitLee

Stu, 
I love having this dialogue with you, because I feel we both enjoy this topic greatly and yet so divided on some of our views.  However, you're confusing my position with your commentary, in trying to label me with the non-believers. Please, stop.    If you read my posts carefully, you'll see that my view is all about the dualistic nature of man. I'm just trying to tell you how it's implemented in nature. Our spiritual nature (soul as you describe it) is not a new undiscovered force of nature. You and I are information with the ability to process other information. Why is it so hard for people to get this?  

I have oversimplified my explanation in what follows intentionally to convey my basic idea which seems hard to grasp for some.  You, are information.; an ultrasophisticated program executing on your body. Your body is just a machine consisting of the same atoms as mine subject to the same physical laws. Yet we are different, unique because of that information, while our componentry is virtually the same.   Think of yourself as the code on ultimate Turing machine that this world with it's physical laws and God (supplying information for your machine) could produce.  Yes, each of our machines look a little different, they all function a little differently and all wear out at different rates but still all human bodies. Your information (soul) runs your body until it's time is up.   When this world is over, God takes your informations (all recorded perfectly in His non-decaying environment with different physical laws (Heaven)) and puts your information in a different machine (your heavenly body, a new machine subject to new physical laws) to live with Him forever. 

Please tell me how my views violate the Bible specifically; the passages you quoted certainly are in tune with my view. Yet, your view is inconsistent with what we have learned from science. If I am mistaken in my assessment on your view, please provide some details as to exactly what your view is about this new force and how it operates and the evidence for it. 

Consistent with the scientific view of this world,  information is radically different than forces resulting from the physical laws.  Information certainly doesn't violate any of the physical laws, and is independent from those physical laws. Information from God defined the dimensions, the relationships between them and that determines the physical laws that make up this world and force all machines built from the matter in this universe to operate in a specific way.  Based on the information provided into this dimensional manifold as initial conditions or at later times, these laws can evolve additional information that can make new beings like you and me as well as all of the other entities within this world. 

It certainly might be a little hard to swallow all this the first time you read it. Just think about it. It is very much like a very detailed computer simulation.  It's a great solution physically and spiritually for the spirit- body dualism. Anyway, it works for me, so I'm sticking with it unless you come up with a better argument than presented so far. Sorry. 

(A short diversion) You never indicated what aspect of my claim (that the four forces are sufficient for us) that Roger Penrose would disagree with.   I will have to guess from his last book that I read of his 'The Road to Reality' where he was somewhat sympathetic to the concept of God driving a low entropy condition to start the universe but focused on the mathematical concept of Twistors to resolve the deep mathematical conflicts between gravitation and quantum theories.   So, what if agnostic Roger Penrose wants to twiddle with the mathematical equations some more in quantum mechanics, gravity or any others. They may never quite get it perfect. They'll be arguing over the form of the laws as long as the world exists.   Only God knows the final equation set.   

We absolutely know from the four existing measurable forces in nature that this world and a lot of fine functioning animals can be made from them alone with our present understanding of those laws. We don't need a new force in physics (the spiritual force) to breath life into them or make a man from dirt. It seems you might be grasping for support in asserting these fine Bible passages support your assumption that such as a new spiritual force is needed for man. If I missed something in these passages that destroys my argument, please clearly point it out.  Many mammals already have thinking and reasoning abilities albeit at diminished levels of performance with the known set.  What they don't have is abstract reasoning skills and imagination. This is unique in man but you'd be wildly speculating with that imagination of yours if you dreamed up a new force in nature to get it.  A much simpler solution would result from a structural changes to a primate brain with more cellular capacity and interconnects in specific areas that are tied to higher level brain function. These changes also mirror the modifications observed between man and ape brain structure.  No new measurable forces or cell types exist in humans when the brain is studied in detail by physicians or scientists to my knowledge. The same components in apes exist in man; only size and top level architectures are modified.  Have you heard of something new or different than this being discovered that exists in only humans?  

I am likely oversimplifying here, but I believe you're mistaking forces for information. You have made a faulty assumption about what the Bible states regarding forces. The Bible doesn't even use 'force' as a word in your selected passages.   I claim that you are dualistic also: body (forces and energy) and spirit (information organized within the body with the ability to process external information).  You claim a new force is necessary, and I think the known laws and information are quite sufficient to produce the dualistic nature of man.  Your position doesn't seem to take into account information processing superimposed on a quantum mechanical atomic system to account for abstract thought and imagination as a possible solution for the spiritual nature of man. Mine does. Roger Penrose speculated in his book the 'Emporor's New Mind' on how human thought might be quantum mechanically based; no new physical forces proposed though, just an undiscovered aspect of the existing physical laws.   

Monistic physicalism sounds like a defamatory word used to put down those that disagree with a dogmatic religious position. This seems as an attempt to stereotype me in with another group of opponents you have dismissed long ago as having an inferior position based on your logic. I take some offense at your claim that I have asserted a position of monistic physicalism without basis. I have not mentioned or asserted this atheist position, yet you state that I did. It seems you have stated this to denigrate me. Bad form!  

My position would be closer to a new term called 'Divine guided dualistic information processing by material systems if it existed (information & material under God's direction) in the world's vernacular.    I tried to clearly define my position in my writing and tried to get my debating opponents to define theirs as well on how God actually made this wonderful place.  I have been putting evidence in writing for months substantiating my claims. Most of it is ignored or claimed as biased without justification or any evidence to the contrary. Yet I ask politely for evidence and continue to get none from all other debaters in the scientific areas.  Seems like I can only get Bible verses which are mostly presumptuous on their true meaning.   I will ask you politely this time as well. If you have some evidence that this additional new force exists in the universe please provide it and also please clearly define for me what this new force in nature is. I'm looking for something testable, measurable, and documented in a credible journal because the Bible doesn't define this dualism further than stating it's existance and I don't believe any new forces of nature are necessary or exist in this reality. You claim that a new force exists in nature, show me, you're a physicist by training! Provide some evidence for it other than your assumptions of what the Bible is trying to state!  If there is a new force in nature that operates 24/7 there should be some evidence, right, since we are all dreaming, imagining, and talking about abstract concepts all hours of the day?  There should be plenty of this new force to discover.  Sorry to be such a pragmatist!  

Also, since you didn't disagree with anything else I stated in my previous post, I am under the assumption that you agree with the rest of my statements. 

I am wildly speculating in my mind, what you imagine this spiritual force to be and how you think it works.  Physicist to physicist please indulge me on some of the details of how this force operates with other forces of nature to provide mind body dualism. There is one additional discussion thread that we should also pursue while in this area: ghosts, demons, and resurrection.  Do these also have some relation to this new force and if so how?     

Lee. What a Face

471Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty Response to Lee Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:23 am

stu

stu

Lee - I hope, also, you will agree with me that there are no new undiscovered forces of nature involved that are part of the human mind. That man's spiritual nature is built on the foundation of the four known forces and brain structures that our difference sequence of genetic code produces.

Stu - I heartily do not agree with you -- and neither does the Bible. Even many agnostic physicists don't agree with you (Roger Penrose, for one).

What you are asserting is Monistic Physicalism without proof or even argument. You are holding a faith position that (quantum) physics will somehow be able to solve the Mind/Body problem without having to resort to Dualism. Committed atheists/agnostics are compelled to cling to that position . You don't have to.

Your faith is based in God and His Word, and God has clearly revealed the solution to the Mind/Body problem -- that man has a dual nature, i.e., he is both material and non-material. Man is a composite of a material nature (physical body, brain) with a non-material soul (spirit, mind, consciousness).

Man's material nature is governed by the laws of physics; but our immaterial nature is imparted directly by God (Imago Dei). It is not contingent on the physical. I know that drives you crazy, but that is what the Bible clearly teaches. Without a dualistic nature, the Bible and Jesus Christ (sin, fall, redemption, and the afterlife) makes no sense. Without a sensible Bible we are as lost the heathen.

Gen 2:7 - the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being

Lk 24:39 - (Jesus) See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have

Jn 4:24 - God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth

Mt 10:28 - Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Mk 8:36 - What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?

1 Cor 15:35, 40 - But someone may ask, "How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come?" ... There are heavenly bodies and there are earthly bodies; but the splendor of the heavenly bodies is one kind, and the splendor of the earthly bodies is another.

Mt 22:37 - Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind"

472Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty in addition to Lee's post Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:53 pm

sumiala

sumiala

For the critical thinkers among us:

-Humans share 50% of their DNA with bananas. I could argue that Lee, Bret, Stu and me and others are half banana (for some, this may not be far-fecthed!!!).
-The number of similar DNA has ranged probably between 90% and 99%. Of course Lee depicts the larger number.
-The number is based on only a portion of the DNA, not the FULL DNA.
-Evolutionist term the uninvestigated DNA 'junk'. Typical. This part of the the DNA is still largely unknown but evolutionists (including Lee?) ignore this and go ahead and jump to conclusions.
-Should we focus on the similarities, or differences? Some differences between humans and apes:
-walking upright (yes, do come up with the exceptional behaviour in the apes. Another rash conclusion awaits to generalise)
-restricted sweat glands with very salty sweat
-tears
-ability to hold breath
-subcutaneous fat
-ability to swim at birth
-descended larynx
-soft palate capable of sealing off the wind-pipe
-love of water
-There are evolutionists that claim we are closer to the urangutan. Others say we descend from aquatic ancestor. Both are wrong because:
A) Lee does not agree with them
B) The Bible clearly says we were created from dust, and unto dust we shall return.

Would it not be more likely that similarities would point to a common Creator, instead of a common ancestor?
Would it not be possible that God having designed some pretty nifty systems and features, He would re-use these elsewhere?
If the comeback from Lee is going to be that He is not allowed to do that, then my question is WHY?
Also, of course we are made of the same materials, otherwise how are all these creatures going to serve for one another as food, if they are made of completely different building blocks?
All books (well, most anyway) are written with ink on paper, but this says nothing about the information that is stored within them. It is the code and its message that is crucial!!!

Think about that.

Lucien

473Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty *** Spiritual Nature vs. Eternal Soul *** Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:21 pm

lordfry

lordfry

Lee ...

I don't want to disrupt your dialog with Brother Stu
so ... I'll just ask you for a couple of clarifications
that might help you guys to understand the disconnect!

1). I believe Stu ask you about Adam's "Soul"... Not his "Spiritual Nature"!
Are you claiming ... or trying to imply that the TWO are in essence the same?

2). When you say "the existing known physical laws that were designed before
our universe came into existence"... are you implying that:
*** In the beginning God created the Physical Laws of Nature *** ???
If so ... where do you find your Biblical reference for this "GEN 1:0" edict ...
or is this more of a Scientific inference by necessity?

And I would like your responses to be in the form of a question? (Kidding!) Razz

Bret* 2010

474Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty Building a Man With Spirit Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:16 am

InfinitLee

InfinitLee

Guys, you're becoming a sports blog! Snap out of it. Here's something to get your minds back on track

Stu, I think you will agree with my earlier writing. 
'All modern plants and animals are multicellular life forms.  All animals and plants consist of eukaryotic cells containing a very close common set of genetic code per individual and the same types of amino acids in their proteins as well the same constituents in their RNA and DNA.  For instance all humans do not vary by more than .1% in their genetic code sequence which is about 3 million nucleotides of difference maximum.  Between man and chimp there is thirteen times that difference (40 million nucleotides) but still only a ~1% difference.'

I would hope that you agree with the makeup of humans and our similarities in proteins, DNA, RNA and other cellular materials. Please let me know if you don't i.e. Different moleules and organization.

I hope, also, you will agree with me that there are no new undiscovered forces of nature involved that are part of the the human mind. That man's spiritual nature is built on the foundation of the four known forces and brain structures that our difference sequence of genetic code produces.

Therefore, in man's special creation ('bara' ) the human mind came into existance since nothing like it existed prior.  It is unique in nature, able to solve complex abstract problems, and to know God. Our spiritual nature allows us to understand the universe and everything in it. This is not an insignificant change between man and ape. Only God's perpetual direction of DNA sequence changes could have produced those 40 million changes necessary to produce a man.  Only God knew which out of the 3.2 billion pairs to change to make a human. Darwinists would claim these are random changes selected by nature; I claim they were predetermined changes before the universe began and executed in a timely sequence over the course of human history by deterministic natural processes which God invented. 

I contend:

1) that the higher level of reasoning and spiritual nature that we have comes from our different brain structure relative to all other animals. This special ability is what makes we humans unique in the animal kingdom. 2) These structures are founded on the existing known physical laws that were designed before our universe came into existance.  3) Our minds (our spiritual nature) develop from conception throughout our lives as a physical and electrochemical structure containing a vast amount of information that define who we are 4) This information becomes the foundation for our eternal spiritual life with God in Heaven. 

What is your detailed version of how man was made and the make up of his spiritual nature?

Lee      

Last edited by InfinitLee on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

475Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 19 Empty Tweets Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:08 pm

sumiala

sumiala

funny Stu.
I cannot beat your TPS stats, you win.

Bret, my pal got drafted for the Utah Jazz, not the Lakers. I will see him in July actually.

3.5 hours until the Netherlands play Japan, see if we play better than against Denmark, which now seems millions of year ago (sorry, had to bring it back on topic).

Sorry the US got robbed from a victory.
You still have it in your own hands to go through, just beat Algeria...

Lucien

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 19 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum