Earthage 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Earthage 101

A creationist forum to discuss how old the Earth is...All about how God may have done it. No argument whether God did it. We all believe he did.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Young Earth or Old Earth? Here is where to post your thoughts!

+7
InfinitLee
Rob
flyin2orion
BrokenMan
stu
lordfry
Admin
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down  Message [Page 26 of 40]

stu

stu

Dear Lucien and Lee (and thank you Bret for your peacekeeping effort),

You probably know by now that one of our local University of California evolutionary scientists Fransciso Ayala won this "bigger than Nobel" Templeton prize of $1.5 million. Our local Orange County Register said that he got the prize for "tackling big questions in evolution — and for publicly facing down advocates of creationism and intelligent design." http://greenoc.freedomblogging.com/2010/03/25/evolution-scientist-wins-1-5-million-prize/21533/

The article goes on to say that Ayala was "once ordained as a Dominican priest but left the priesthood to pursue evolutionary research. He took part in court fights over the teaching of evolution in the 1980s. One case led a judge to strike down an Arkansas law calling for “balanced treatment” of creationism and and evolution. But despite polls showing that many in the United States believe in a biblical account of life’s beginnings, Ayala says he remains optimistic that creationism is on the retreat."

Dr. Ayala makes over the top statements about God ---

"When one thinks about the implications of intelligent design, they are very anti-religious, at least for people who believe in an omnipotent and benevolent God. Our jaw is not big enough for our teeth, so we have wisdom teeth removed. Any engineer who designed the human jaw would be fired the next day.

The reproductive system of humans is so badly designed that more than 20 percent of all pregnancies end in spontaneous abortion during the first two months of pregnancy. People who claim we were specifically designed by God, by implication, are accusing God of being an enormous-scale abortionist. (emphasis mine)

Then you have the cruelty of the living world. Some of the parasites can live only by killing their hosts. The cruelty and misery of the world attributed to design by God does not seem appropriate. Instead, it’s natural processes — that’s what evolution does."

He says that "most religious people see matters similar to the way that he does (emphasis mine) and only a minority of people — they are very few, really — write books about intelligent design, write books and articles. You can count them with the fingers of your hands. But then there are groups of fundamentalists who want to interpret the bible literally — the world was created 6,000 years ago. And that of course is unfortunate."

Hey guys -- we're all under attack -- TE as well as OE, YE and gap. Can't we find common ground to fight a common enemy?

In and For Christ,

Stu

http://greenoc.freedomblogging.com/2010/03/25/evolution-scientist-wins-1-5-million-prize/21533/

http://christperspectives.wordpress.com

627Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty wise words Bret Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:12 pm

sumiala

sumiala

Thanks for being a peacemakers.
Blessed are those!

628Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty *** Boys ... Boys! *** Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:31 am

lordfry

lordfry

Lucien ...

I can't believe I'm about to say this ... but ...
Please ... don't be too rough with Brother Lee!
Even though I'm starting to believe that Lee is
just a few (more) logical errors away from buying
some dark sunglasses, an Elvis wig, & a one-way
ticket to Guyana ...
I think we should (calmly) try to talk him down ...
instead of yelling "JUMP!"... !!!
Lee is struggling to regain some lost allies that
he enjoyed having on his side of this debate ...
before he came out of the Darwinian Closet (so to speak)!
He must feel like everyone is against him ...
and unfortunately (for him) he's right!
Not just us (here on the Blog)... but EVERYONE !!!
After throwing Collins & Miller off his Evo-Bus ...
he now has nobody left to turn to for consultation?
This is NOT a fun place to be for anyone!
So ... I would like to suggest that BOTH sides take
a step back (flesh it back)... then (in the Spirit)
let's take tiny little steps forward ... and see
where they lead?
Instead of listing 50 objections or criticisms ALL
at the same time! Why don't we take these one at a time?
Lee ...
Why don't you ask Lucien "ONE" question ... and he will
answer it?
Likewise ... Lucien will ask you "ONE" question ...
and you will answer it!
This way ... we ALL might get some answers to the
issues that are pitting Brother against Brother?
If this doesn't work?
Well ... I guess it's back to "Thunder Dome" !!! affraid
Cyber Hug ...

Bret* 2010

629Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty sigh Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:12 am

sumiala

sumiala

Stop putting words in my mouth Lee, and stop being so cocky.
I do remember you calling me very prideful, well touché, look in the mirror please.

How about a combo of 2 and 3?
And you obviously don't seem to get the metaphysical aspect of all these discussions, because we are not discussing scientific facts, but worldviews, or different "glasses". Unless either you or me changes worldview, we will interpret the same scientific facts according to it.

Your arguments for wood changing into snakes makes no sense what soever in light of my query, where I specifically used the word reproduction after their kind (Gen.1) or changing slowly over millions of years, the B) option you adore so much.

I believed in genetic variation within the kind long before I even heard about you Lee, you have not changed a single thing.
Have plenty to do other than, reading your volumes worth of showing off how many 3+ syllable words you can fit into your elaborate posts. If I put my mind to it I can do the same, since somehow I evolved the skill to talk in your native language.
Fancy words may sway the gullible Lee, but it ain't workin on me buddy, nice try anyway.

Still awaiting a Biblical argument for kinds evolving into other kinds gradually over millions of years. I will wait forever, since your argument for this is based purely on extra-Biblical ideas imposed on Scripture. If the evidence is so clear, you should not be hard-pressed quoting me an array of passages. All your PHD's and diploma's and certificates leave me unmoved, but a purely Biblical argument will be listened to.
The what you so eloquently call "popping into existence" feature is adhered to by many millions of people, but even if I were the only one, since the Bible tells us that God's Word (He Said) created them Ex Nihilo, simpleton me actually takes my Lord's Word for it.

Oh, and what God will say to me when I face Him. Stop concerning yourself with that Lee, our omnipotent God is perfectly capable of dealing with me in a suitable way, and he ain't gonna ask you for advice, even though you may think He should.

Lucien

Last edited by sumiala on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo's)

630Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty Reproduction Inconsistencies Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:31 am

InfinitLee

InfinitLee

Lucien
I'm betting on a combination of 1) and 2).  If it would make sense how could I reject it?

Lucien- But to give you something to do in the mean time:

Where in the BIBLE do we find verses/passages about:
B) creatures changing from one kind into another kind into another kind, all gradually over millions of years?

This should be fun, since it involves the transmutation of matter into animals. How about this one where a dead branch of a bush is turned into a snake and back into a branch:  

Ex 4:2 And the LORD said unto him, What is that in thine hand? And he said, A rod.3 And he said, Cast it on the ground. And he cast it on the ground, and it became a serpent; and Moses fled from before it.4 And the LORD said unto Moses, Put forth thine hand, and take it by the tail. And he put forth his hand, and caught it, and it became a rod in his hand:

This should count since it goes from a plant (albeit dead wood) into a live snake then back again.  One form of matter into another.  I couldn't find one where animals popped into existance from nothing though. Guess your on your own on finding that one.

By the way, how about those verses in Genesis 1 that states the earth and water bring forth  plants and animals after their kind.. How does the earth and water do this anyway from your perspective. This sounds like evolution to me while you see it as God popping animals into existance out of nothing. Please help me with the rewording here, I don't understand your editing. 

I'm glad you at least believe in live birth for at least within the kinds.  I think you also believe in genetic variation as well within the kind.  That is some progress at least.  Now if we can just get you to believe that the lizard is a long lost cousin of the snake,  I got you where I need you to be: a theistic evolutionist.  

Lee

Last edited by InfinitLee on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected reference)

631Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty answers for Lee? Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:29 am

sumiala

sumiala

1) we cannot come up with answers, or
2) we haven't been bothered reading the question to begin with, or
3) we think that any answer we give is a priori rejected anyway, or
4) a combination of some of the above.

But to give you something to do in the mean time:

Where in the BIBLE do we find verses/passages about
A) creatures reproducing after their kind?
B) creatures changing from one kind into another kind into another kind, all gradually over millions of years?

I can help you with A) if you want, and so can anyone on this forum that has read Genesis 1.
B) will be more difficult, if you stick to Sola Scriptura...

Lucien

InfinitLee

InfinitLee

Dear Stu,

I thank you for your thoughtful response to some of my comments related to miracles and how God uses natural laws to accomplish them.  I don't believe that I ever implied that miracles don't happen. That would definitely go against what I believe. All I'm claiming is that God uses His natural laws that already exist and ones that have enough control embedded within them to support all the events occurring over the history of the universe. There are some examples for your consideration below.

Unfortunately, I don't think that you understood my point about how He causes miracles to occur. I am not saying this in criticism of your reply, I am just trying to get you to see a really difficult set of concepts for almost anyone.

The points are 1) that God has the ability to transcend our time and be omnipresent at any time in history. By adjusting the free terms in the physical laws at any point, He can control present or future events like the weather or evolution. 2) He has a perfect memory and foreknowledge that allows Him to preplan the specific points in our history where He will control Nature and interact with humans. The miracles that you mentioned are some examples of these: the Resurrection, the Holy Spirit in Mary's womb, etc. Yes there was interaction between God and His Creation, preplanned from the beginning and carried out perfectly.  Yes, this would be considered supernatural but still within the bounds of natural functions like birth and death within the capabilities of the physical laws. 3) these precise interactions allowed the natural laws to continue along their deterministic path in sync with God's perfect plan. This makes prophecy possible.  4) the natural laws have controls built into them that God uses to control nature.

For instance, general relativity has an independent term that is not a function of energy density that can effect space-time curvature (affecting forces between objects with mass). Scientists think that this term has taken on two tremendously different values during the history of this universe. High value near the very beginning (inflation) and an extremely low value now (dark energy).  Based on mankind's collective knowledge, there isn't a natural causal reason known for this 'cosmological constant' to have taken on these two very precise and extreme values. These require extreme fine tuning of values, otherwise, we wouldn't be here to talk about them.  I believe this to be God at the controls. Since gravity is a local force. It could also be used in other localized miracles by our Creator to levitate massive objects such as walking on water or the ascension of Jesus into heaven. It can be used to bend light from the sun to turn night into day or go backward down a staircase. All of these miracles brought about through the use of fixed laws of nature with God in control of them.  Why invent new physical laws when none are required?

It seems to me that knowledge of and ability to adjust the phase relationships within the quantum mechanical structures would provide a tremendous source of control over matter since there are such huge numbers of these particles.  The control of phase and position could be used to produce highly unlikely events in nature that are attributed currently to random chance as a result of Heisenberg uncertainty. By loading the quantum dice, our Maker can make any extremely unlikely event occur with certainty and deterministically according to a perfect plan. Large items like the Big Bang would not be a randomly controlled event like most people believe. This event becomes a carefully controlled expansion of exacting initial conditions and one that could produce exactly what exists today and what the universe will evolve into in the years ahead per God's predetermined plan.  

You didn't seem to grasp, agree, or process the point I was making about the Holy Spirit modifying Mary's genetic code.  Yes, it was modified in a supernatural way; the random chance of Jesus being conceived within Mary is basically nil. This is what uncontrolled and unpredetermined natural processes will create: chaos and contingency. However, the Holy Spirit took the quantum uncertainty (random chance) out of the picture and programmed the genetic code in one of Mary's eggs to combine with God's genetic code from who knows where (maybe a modified strand from another egg).  The net result was Jesus, nine months later, and fully human with a complete set of human DNA instead of the half set in one of Mary's eggs.  My point is that God came into the world by a combination of supernatural intervention in the genetic code sequencing and also by natural birth. Again, I will ask you and all the other anti-evolutionists, why can't God make all of the species in this manner? Whether or not God gets in there and splices the DNA together himself or sets up the quantum interactions ahead of time is an inconsequential detail of the process He decides to use on a given 'day'. Whether or not He goes back through time setting quantum phases in order or goes into the womb and directs traffic while the genetic code is combining, this is for God to decide, not Creationists. The anti-evolutionists seem to want to tie God's hands and tell Him that He can only create a specific way: by popping things into existance from nothing, and oh, by the way, you can't use the laws you created to do it. From the YE perspective, you might as well tell our Father something like the following: 'God, You have to use a new set that we, your children, think might exist.' I don't think that conversation will go well for you as you account for your life as God asks why you didn't think He could create through evolution and why you led a lot of Christians down a ficticious path away from the truth. Anyway, that is neither here or now. I just don't like the anti-evolutionists trying to put constraints on God while trash talking science and telling the world that the Bible only permits one way: Poof, poof, poof; out of nothin.  Your credibility is greatly lacking and at stake here if you support this nonsense. Not just with me but the entire world of non-believers composed of scientists and other religions. You are way too confident for what little you understand in this arena and the limited verses of the Bible on this topic which provide no support for your views.  You might want to reassess your rigid positions sooner than later.  

Even though I have addressed the significant differences between theistic and deistic evolution and the Darwinian positions, my explations don't seem to be sinking in.  I'll just keep trying to help you see the differences.  Your reply seems to confuse theistic with Deistic evolution.  Dr. Kenneth Miller is basically a Darwinist with God standing back and watching how life evolves.  Dr. Francis Collins has a very similar view in his book and also supports the contingency viewpoint although slightly less than Miller and alludes to a designer without saying anything how he manifests the design. It seems they both view Darwinism as the process that God implemented. 

Both of these men are labeled as theistic evolutionists. Why? I don't know! From my perspective this is straight deistic evolution. I suppose you could loosely tie their view to theism since both give God credit, at least, for creating the universe and its laws.  As I see it, a god that makes a universe and sits back to watch it unfold for His entertainment without getting involved with it's inhabitants is aloof and uncaring. This is a deity and not our God. This type of process should rightfully be called deistic evolution. 

Theistic evolution should represent the type of evolution that a caring involved God would provide. I have outlined this process above with God directing the Gene splicing or revising the quantum phasing to generate the miracle mutations that produced new species.  Both of these controls by the way are still within the fixed laws that a caring God has access to and the ability to properly control. This requires omniscience and omnipotence. Neither Miller nor Collins allude to any control of this type which make them deistic evolutionists. It seems that they are saying that the phyical forces and the environments the animals live in shape their characteristics over time by Darwinian processes. In a weak manner they might claim that God's laws which determine the forces, the elements, and environments control the characteristics of species that develop from the Darwinian process. I see why you would have a Biblical issue with this concept and so do I. The contingency in speciation leaves out God's control and predetermination of events. This is anti-Biblical. As you can see from the above, my theistic evolution view is greatly different than Miller's or Collins.    

Your references to angels, demons, ghosts and God's indwelling make a very good case for the supernatural. I agree with you totally on this point. But think about this for a moment and you will realize that our current physical laws support this manifestation of the spirit world within us. All Christians, every last one that has taken the plunge, is indwelt by the Holy Spirit. You don't need new physical laws to support the supernatural, this capability is built right into the laws we have today, running 24/7.  Since it fun to speculate, I would guess that our spiritual nature and operation of our mind is some type of bosonic effect similar to the lasing of light and distributed throughout our neurons. No one knows how the mind operates but it clearly operates above and beyond the atomic structures in our brain but also requires these structures to exist, as we develop and grow as individuals in this lifetime. Somehow the physical laws and matter compliment and support our mind and spirit. 

Maybe more than one spirit can be supported in a bosonic couplng  process.   I will be the first to admit that I don't know how the physical laws accommodate this spiritual indwelling, but we know they do, otherwise we fellow Christians would be embroiled in a bitter life threatening war of words. Thank God for His gentle calming influence. 

Father, Please never leave us!  Thank you for your quantum soothing of our uncertain random anger related to the nutty ideas that your other children have. Please help us all eliminate our own and other indeterminate irrational thoughts as well.  Amen.  

I hope that you are finally able to see the difference now, and recognize that theistic evolution is Biblically supportable and supernatural.  If not, I will keep trying until I get through, God help me. 

And by the way, you still didn't answer any of the tough questions that I asked you. Your reply was a red herring that focused on an incorrect assumption about my version of theistic evolution. How about trying to answer some of my questions? Stu, you seem to be the YEs only hope, since they can't come up with any answers. 

Brother Lee 

633Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty check out these two links Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:22 am

sumiala

sumiala

March 11th
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100311/twl-catastrophic-event-stopped-growth-of-41f21e0.html

March 21st
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100321/tsc-galaxy-went-through-growth-spurt-4b158bc.html

Both speak about observations and seeing things, but really they did not observe anything, they inferred whatever ideas they want to believe.
Interestingly, catastrophism is becoming more popular, so either you are starting to get more punctuated equilibriumists, or you are heading to what the Bible has been saying all along?

Lucien

634Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty *** The Bible DOES speak of a BIG BANG! *** Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:08 am

lordfry

lordfry

2 Peter 3:10 (King James Version)

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night;
in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise,
and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also
and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
cherry bom pale

Bret* 2010

635Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty interesting saying I heard this morning Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:41 am

sumiala

sumiala

"His creation has become His peers."

That's what i heard this morning at the church I visited.
In light of the things we have been talking about, I get the following out of it:

Let us never, ever, elevate science above the Bible!
Sola Scriptura can tell us what happened in the unobserved past, since only the infallible Author was there, as He laid the foundations of the earth (Job 38:4).
We should interpret science in light of the Holy Revelation from the One and Only reliable eye-witness, instead of putting our trust in FLAWED FALLEN scientists, whether OE or YE, and then trying to read that into the Scriptures.
If we need a PHD to understand all of Scripture, than we would have to come to the conclusion that our God is not a good communicator since the majority of His people does not have PHD's.
But He is a good communicator.
Am I saying that everyone will immediately understand everything in the Bible? NO. The Bible speaks a couple of times that babies have milk for food (for example 1 Peter 2:2), and only later is meat on the menu. And of course 2 Peter 3:16 explains that not all writings by Paul are easy to understand, but if we become more learned (by hearing the Word preached and studying Scripture) we will get a grasp of the more difficult passages too.

Lucien
as a note to Stu. If you wish to call the events in Gen. 1:1 a big bang, than go right ahead (I wasn't there to hear if it made any sound or not). What I am concerned about is the secular model that follows, which outlines a vastly different order of events than the order found in the Bible. Also aware that more honest (secular) scientists are abandoning the idea, there are still very clever people that have come up with unobserved dark matter, unobserved dark energy and more recently unobserved dark flow, all in order to keep the big bang model alive, but frankly, it is dying. And seeing that these things are unobserved, we could even call it a faith (see Hebrews 11:1).

636Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty For Lee - Miracles -- the great Interference! Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:28 pm

stu

stu

According to theism, a miracle is a supernatural intervention into the natural world by a transcendent God. I like C.S. Lewis' definition even better. He calls it an interference with nature by a supernatural power. However we define it, for Christians a miracle is a less than common action of God in which He demonstrates his power and sovereignty, arousing our awe with "signs and wonders." A miracle is a supernatural event in which God occasionally transcends his fixed laws for his own purposes to reveal his sovereignty and grab our attention. Magic is not an act of God but rather one in opposition to God - either a person or a demon, sometimes even the devil himself. In any case, it and they are under the sovereign control of God (Job 1).

I know that you believe in miracles since you have experienced them. You were supernaturally born again without the intercession of natural laws. You believe the Bible is the supernatural revelation of God. You are a man of prayer. On the historical and objective front, you believe in the incarnation of Jesus Christ -- that God became man and dwelt among us as fully God and fully man. His human nature was controlled and limited by natural law, but his divine nature remained super- natural. (BTW - the meaning of the incarnation is not that Jesus was born by natural means as you wrote, but that Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit by super-natural means.)

There are several hundred miracles in the Bible -- many of which lie beyond your criteria of being extensions of known physical laws. The central doctrine of the Christian faith is such a one -- the resurrection of Jesus. Also his appearances after physical death, his ascension, and his return all transcend natural law. So do the acts of the Holy Spirit, including his taking of residence in our hearts. The creation and manifestation of angels (both good and bad ones) lie beyond natural law, as are their appearances and conversations with mere mortals. And in the case of the demons -- their possession of mortals and exorcism is a super-natural phenomenon.

The real difference I see between your view of miracles and the rest of us (but it is a huge one) is that you have God knowing ahead of time all the events that will happen in creation history (which he does). But you build that foreknowledge into His original creation recipe. Then moving forward from the creation event, history progresses deterministically by the fixed laws that God built into his initial creative act. Allegedly this obviates the need for him to "interfere" further with miracles - like having bunnies pop into existence. Am I fair in my interpretation of what you are saying?

But how do you know what is natural and what is supernatural? I think you would agree that we can only know from special revelation -- that which comes from the Bible(special). Nature gives a general revelation of natural law which can be discovered by science, but only the Bible gives the word on miracles.

We all agree (YE, OE, TE) that the initial creation event ex nihilo in Gen 1:1,2 is a miracle. That certainly is an "interference" of the first order of a previous state. But the remainder of Genesis 1 gives us the details about what God means by "In the beginning God created." He tells us that the creation is made up of 10 events (v 3, 6, 9, 11, 14, 20, 24, 26, 28, 29), and he describes each one in a fair amount of detail starting each description with the phrase, "And God said" -- the announcement that he did it. This clearly indicates that God didn't accomplish everything in 1:1,2. He could have created instantaneously, but he announces that he didn't. Something obviously happened in the beginning (you and I see it as the big bang, but that's not the point here). It's what follows in the ordered sequence of the 10 creation events over the 6 periods of time that demonstrates how he interferes with the natural order. YE, OE, TEers can argue over the length of the 6 time periods, but I don't see how we can argue that the 10 events are separate and unique. I think that both Ken Ham and Hugh Ross would agree on that.

Now any natural law that governs any one these 10 events had an immediate prior event which had to have its laws interfered with, i.e., a miracle occurred. I think you go beyond the text to claim that God does not (even cannot) exercise his sovereignty over the laws of nature which governed previously. But here he clearly indicates the he does with each one of the creation events. God is telling us in the text that these creation events are "discrete" and "discontinuous" events. I understand you don't see it that way, but without nature having discontinuities we don't have supernatural intervention. Yes, perhaps there should be evidence that these prior laws were "tampered" with -- maybe we'll find it. After all we found the creation event, the background radiation, etc. How does Hugh Ross explain progressive creationism and God's "tampering?" He holds to these special creation events taking place over time.

You might not like this "interference" with the fixed natural laws. I understand that it opens us up to criticism from naturalistic scientists and exposes us to pejoratives as appealing to a "God of the gaps." But the fact is, Christianity appeals to a supernatural creator who performs supernaturally, sometimes "interfering" with things he previously set in motion. I am prepared to "die on that hill." When pushed by methodological naturalism we can't hide this fact. It doesn't destroy the scientific enterprise to believe in supernaturalism. In fact, it makes it exciting -- like looking for design; or the function of junk DNA. But it doesn't buy us anything either to compromise with the scientific enterprise denying "interference" by interpreting around it. As much as I try to find common ground with my fellow Christians on scriptural and scientific premises which are debatable, I cannot seem to find common ground with premises that clearly compromise the direct teaching of the Bible. To me TE is one view of creation that clearly compromises scriptural authority.

Your brother in Christ,

Stu

P.S. I just saw Bret's post before I posted and agree that your view is closer to deism than it is to Christian theism. It can even be considered monism (pantheism). New Age writers like Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics hold similar views.

637Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty ouch Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:22 am

sumiala

sumiala

Remarkable!!!

638Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty *** Leeology, Deism, & Voltaire *** Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:42 am

lordfry

lordfry

Does anybody besides me find some startling similarities here ???

Deism (\ˈdi:iz(ə)m\[1] or \ˈdē-ˌi-zəm\)[2] is a religious and philosophical belief that a supreme being created the universe, and that this (and religious truth in general) can be determined using reason and observation of the natural world alone, without the need for either faith or organized religion. Deists tend to, but do not necessarily, reject the notion that God intervenes in human affairs, for example through miracles and revelations. These views contrast with the dependence on revelations, miracles, and faith found in many Jewish, Christian, Islamic and other theistic teachings.

Deists typically reject most supernatural events (prophecy, miracles) and tend to assert that God (or "The Supreme Architect") has a plan for the universe that is not altered either by God intervening in the affairs of human life or by suspending the natural laws of the universe. What organized religions see as divine revelation and holy books, most deists see as interpretations made by other humans, rather than as authoritative sources.
Individual deists varied in the set of critical and constructive elements for which they argued. Some deists rejected miracles and prophecies but still considered themselves Christians because they believed in what they felt to be the pure, original form of Christianity – that is, Christianity as it existed before it was corrupted by additions of such superstitions as miracles, prophecies, and the doctrine of the Trinity.

Constructive elements of deist thought included:

* God exists, created and governs the universe.
* God gave humans the ability to reason.
* God wants human beings to behave morally.
* Human beings have souls that survive death; That is, there is an afterlife.

Maybe instead of Leeology ...
The term *** Leeism *** is more accurate?

Lee ... you know that I love you as a Brother (non-racial) afro
... but friends (& Brothers) don't let friends preach Deism!

Bret 2010*

639Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty *** Lee's 6000 word Soliloquy *** Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:32 pm

lordfry

lordfry

Lee ...

I've got one word for you!

*** TWITTER ***

Bret* 2010

640Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty gave up after paragraph 2 Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:59 am

sumiala

sumiala

Lee

I think you once mentioned how young earth creationists tend to look down on old-earthers and you only receive mocking and dislike. Hmmm, are you not doing exactly that which you despise coming from YE believers?

Further,
Do you really think I dislike science?
Think you need to think again.
I studied science!!!!! Why would I do that if I dislike it?

But one thing in your first two paragraphs is correct, which also makes me a bit sceptical about scientists (call it distrust if you must): FLAWED CHILDREN.

Until you understand that these FLAWED CHILDREN are likely to come up with FLAWED ideas, you can argue all you like about how science backs your ideas, but you are arguing in vain, since you just showed us the cards that FLAWED scientists (and you) hold.
Your infinite trust is thus based on the ideas of these FLAWED children and since there are opposing (contradicting) views coming from different groups of FLAWED children, it seems to me that you have picked one set of ideas that suits your worldview, whereas there are PHD's etc on both side of the spectrum. Why are the PHD's that support your view more worthy of those on the YE view?
I might read the rest of your message later on, but I think you need to realise that your trust in science above God's Word has distorted your clear thinking, since you just (rightly so) undermined your trust in science.
Keep trusting in ideas from FLAWED children if you must, but for me, I will trust the Lord and His Holy infallible Word.

Lucien

InfinitLee

InfinitLee

Sorry for the long delay folks, I've been very busy and also wanted to give a proper response to Lucien's critique of my views. I apologize in advance for the length of my reply, I have tried to counter that factor by hopefully making it more entertaining than usual.  I would like to get everyone to think and reply to my tough questions below to see where it leads us. 

I am not sure why Lucien wrote such a lengthy reply to my first issue with his view relating to the scientific process.  I enjoyed reading it because it gives me a good perspective on his distrust of science and his apparent dislike of scientists as he believes they are flawed and distort the truth. I, on the other hand, believe science as a noble effort ordained by The Father for His flawed children to discover and learn His ingenious set of fixed laws that He uses to deterministically control this universe.  

I feel a duty to also remind the YEs that flawed children can also misinterpret the Bible as well as data about nature in support of a flawed YE view. The early view by Christian theologians that everything revolved around the earth resulted in their persecution of Galileo due to their strongly held beliefs that were based on Bible passages such as Ecclesiastes 1:5
'The sun rises and the sun goes down, and hastens to the place where it rises...' 
This was also supported by 

1 Chronicles 16:30
'tremble before him, all earth; yea, the world stands firm, never to be moved.'
And,
Psalms 93:1
...Yea, the world is established; it shall never be moved.
Yet, after seeing the earth from space while standing on the moon can leave no doubt to the moveable status of the earth even to the most steadfast YE fundamentalist.
The inferiority of women to men is a strongly supported view to this day from: 

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." (I Corinthians 11:3)

"For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man." (I Corinthians 11:8-9).  

These examples are but two of many misinterpretations of the symbolism of the Bible being interpreted literally and incorrectly to support flawed views. The day age debate rages on here as another example of flawed men misinterpreting the Bible. Eventually, I hope YEs will be convinced that God's days can also be different than 24 hours based on what Peter, prophets, and other Christians have told them... 

At present, it looks like we may never agree on the value of science so I will thank Lucien for providing his views and move on to the next topic.    

I wish that Lucien would have tried to answer more thoroughly my tough questions in 2) thru 4). I sincerely doubt he is able to provide a rationale answer to these after his first attempt, since several key points and questions were ignored or misunderstood.   These attempts did not adequately address my issues or questions, so I am left wanting a reasonable and rational response.  Maybe if I repeat them again here and open the dialogue up to all YEs, I can get the response I was looking for.  I will try to clarify my questions as I go.  Additions are included in {...}.  By the way, if anyone has a good answer or response for my issues and questions below, please post it. I am not trying to lay all of this heavy burden on Lucien, it is quite a heavy load.  If no one can provide a reasonable response, I will have to assume that these are valid issues with the YE creationist position.      

[Excerpt From My Previous Post]-
2) The notion of speaking things {animal in particular} into existance in six 24 hour days is neither Biblically founded nor scientifically credible. {i.e. Which specific Bible passages support this view, if any?  I have never seen any passages that support this view; the one in your earlier reply and repeated again below didn't even hint at this method of creation}  If God brought all of the species {in groups/kinds} into existance by this magic, then why did He stop? {There is no evidence of this happening in the modern era or during the history of mankind. If you think that God brings new and different creatures into the world in this manner, w}hy aren't we all brought into existance this way since we are all unique and God could have made the laws anyway He wanted? 

Even God himself had Mary as His mother through natural birth. If ever there was a time that this special technique of popping a being into existance was called for, it would have been for Jesus. But no, God showed us that He could manipulate genetic code in Mary's womb and make himself there.   So if God himself is capable of birthing himself through natural means and splicing in his own code genetically to make Jesus, why won't the YEs permit God to make all of the species using this same methodology of natural birth via male and female gene splicing.  {Do you think that God is incapable of creating other species using the same methodology He used this natural process to recreate himself in the form of a man?  Lucien didn't even acknowledge this point in his reply, let alone address it, so I would like to open this up to all anti-evolutionists to try and answer or at least think about.  I really don't think anyone could have a satisfying answer to this question. It will be interesting to hear some of your fantastic responses though to be sure.}  

...  fixed laws of physics will not allow a bunny to pop into existance out of nothing on the sixth day. Neither has anyone pointed out to me where the Bible states this methodology for bringing species into existance. {Lucien's only response on this was: 'God is omnipotent. I believe He could have created everything in one day, or even an hour, or even a split second!'. 

If He is so capable as we both believe, then why can't He use the Natural processes we observe today?}  This seems to be pure imagination at work by the YEs due in part by what seems to be a preference for miracles and magic over natural laws. {I am not implying that miracles don't happen here, just that God uses the natural laws to accomplish them.  While the YE approach prefers totally revised laws to accomplish the miracles.  Please explain why God's natural laws as we know them can't be used, YEs (and other versions of Creationists) are inventing new laws that are not required and excess to God's laws that He states are fixed and that He created at the beginning.}    

3) There is no Biblical justification for changing the physical laws after the sixth 'day'. He would have had to change them, since in their present state they won't allow any of the steps mentioned in Genesis 1 to occur in a 24 hour period.   Long time periods are needed to bring about the Genesis 1 steps within the existing laws.  There is no mention of changing the fixed laws of heaven and earth in Genesis or anywhere else in the Bible for that matter. This is another stretch of the imagination as far as I can see. God made a covenant with the physical laws that He would not break according to Jeremiah in 33:25 and Job 38:33. Scientists study the universe and it's laws because they believe the laws are fixed. It they were not fixed then why would anyone bother. If they can change at a whim, we would live in a universe of magic and irrationality. Very strange things would be happening that violate our physical laws on a continuous basis.  Things would pop in and out of existance without reason. Fortunately the universe is rational and its laws are fixed in the real world.  {Lucien's only response here was incomplete, unclear, and off target:       
Lucien- Allow me to state agin, that if we have to accept Lee’s views and that laws are fixed (as we know it) and not be to be “overruled” (what I think Lee thinks is overruling) then what is the point of prayer?
My response: God answers prayer through natural laws, He incorporated controls into the fixed laws (physical equations) like general relativity and adjusts spacetime and energy at anytime throughout history including the initial conditions of the universe to get what He wants. He sometimes answers our prayers but He foreknew we would ask these prayers so He foreknew how He would handle each and every one. In this way the world is predestined to follow a preplanned path and one that is deterministic. He has control of all things and in Him all things are held together, He just uses natural laws to accomplish them.  If you don't think this is true, please give me an example of a miracle which didn't include natural forces, or animals, or humans to accomplish them.  e.g. parting of the Red Sea by a strong East wind, or Jesus walking on water (possibly by locally curving spacetime according to the laws of general relativity; for those of you unaware of this there is a free independent term in this tensor equation that God could use to control spacetime and energy in the universe). There is a known physical law cause for every miracle listed in the Bible, I don't recall popping a bunny into existance as being one of them, so this concept is not Biblical but imagined from God's omnipotence}

4) The claim that evil was not in the world until the original sin is unfounded since Satan was the one tempting Eve. So evil was already present before the Fall.  That means that death, decay, destruction, and entropy were all around the garden just waiting for Adam and Eve to be thrown out. Even God's Garden had {deceptive talking} snakes {filled} with Evil before the first sin was committed. Consequently, there was no need to change the physical laws after the first sin occured, all God had to do was to remove His presence and protection from Adam and Eve. 
[End of Previous Post]

Lucien's response to my issue 4) simply regurgitated YE dogma: 

[Lucien]- Neither was there any evil in the universe BEFORE the first week was over. So Lucifer must have fallen after the creation week (Lucifer and the other angels were created beings too (Ezek.28)). Otherwise God would not have called it “very good” and “blessed and sanctified the seventh day”.
I think that it would be wholly possible to hold that Adam and Eve could have lived forever in a sinless world. Although this is speculation, you could defend it Biblically:[end of Lucien's response]

Biblically Lucien has no defense, here is what the Bible states right before Adam and Eve disobey God in Genesis 3: 4 The serpent said to the woman, "Surely you will not die, 5 for God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will open and you will be like divine beings who know good and evil."

Words like 'die', and 'evil' already had meaning to the women even though you claim they didn't exist yet on earth. Add this to the presence of a deceptive talking snake tempting Eve  to be disobedient and you know that Satan must be nearby getting a chuckle from the trick he pulled on the first humans. I can't believe Lucien doesn't think evil started the events that led to the Fall. Do I also need to mention that there was evil in Heaven when Satan led the rebellion against God. Evil was here and in Heaven long before humans.  I would  consider both Heaven and earth very good with the exception of those beings that are disobedient to God's will.  Evil is a condition of the mind (not the place or it's laws): selfishness and self-centered behavior occurs as a result. 
Evil has nothing to do with physics. It has everything to do with the condition of the human mind. This part of us is informational and beyond the influence of physical laws which provides the foundation your information is built on. This is why the body dies but your spirit can move on when this world is gone.  Do you think that God modified physical laws to allow evil after the Fall to punish all the creatures in this world because of human disobedience. That's quite a vendetta that the YEs have accused God of. YEs, please explain why God would punish innocent animals for something that humans did. Of course, the YEs have no rational reply for this.    

I would like to also address some of the other comments made in Lucien's post for those avid readers that are still with me.  

[Lucien]- Is that picture of yours taken at Torrey Pines by any chance? It looks familiar to me.

[My Response]- the picture was taken on the bluffs between Dana Point and Laguna Beach. How about posting us a picture of yourself?  

[Lucien]- 1)The only way we can know about the past if we weren’t there and we already said we cannot repeat is... Revelation, or written records.

[My Response]- since God has told us that the physical laws are fixed, we can also use them to determine what happened throughout history. Starlight gives us a  good historical account all the way back to the Big Bang 13.7 billion years ago. Read Psalm 19 if you doubt this information is reliable or provides knowledge. This reluable information not only tells us what else is out there in the universe but also its history.  By the way, since light has a constant speed we can now see the history of the cosmos all the way back to the Big Bang 13.7 billion years ago with the latest telescopes coming on line.  Physical laws being fixed also demand that radioactive decay rates must also be constant over time which give us reliable dating methods for biological and rock samples when  they are prepared and stored properly.   

[Lucien]- Before I give you the answer, let me make Lee happy by saying how he is right, before I have to tell you where he is wrong.
Empirical science is neutral, because science is not a person. Just like that money is not the root of all evil. But the love of money can lead to all kinds of evil (1 Tim. 6:10).

[My Response]-I thank Lucien for agreeing with me on at least one point, I will savor this moment.  
[Lucien]- But hang on. Lucien, you just said we could measure the amount C-14 in relation to C-12. True, and...
Well, does Carbon-14 not prove that things are millions of years old?
Nope. C-14 dating can actually only (theoretically) indicate up till about 100,000 years. For longer (supposed) ages you need uranium-lead or rubidium-strontium radioactive decay. The fact that we find C-14 in alleged very old things is an indication they may not be as old as some think, but I am starting to digress.

[My Response]-I found this interesting that Lucien is seemingly unaware that fresh C14 is being made constantly by cosmic rays hitting atoms in the upper atmosphere and a thermal neutron combining with a nitrogen nucleus.  This is why they find C14 in old samples because some of it will contaminate ancient samples if not adequately protected.  Here is a small exerpt from wikipedia since this concept may be new to some of the YEs: 
  Carbon-14 is produced in the upper layers of the troposphere and the stratosphere by thermal neutrons absorbed by nitrogen atoms. When cosmic rays enter the atmosphere, they undergo various transformations, including the production of neutrons. The resulting neutrons (1n) participate in the following reaction:

1n + 14N → 14C + 1H

YEs shouldn't use the fact that there is still C14 around to make their point on a young earth. This fact of new C14 production destroys the argument you just made and any confidence that your readers or listeners might have had in you if they are educated. 

[Lucien]- I am biased.

[My Response]- I couldn't agree with Lucien more, it's the second thing we agree on.   lol!

Of course , I am too, and based on the information I've received and accepted as truth in my lifetime.  Everyone is this way. Fortunately, God has permitted me to receive more real truth in my lifetime about His Creation than the YEs and that is why I am arguing these points with the YEs. Wink

[Lucien]- Lee’s view is like that of a uniformitarianist. “The present is the key to the past”. I think that the (Revealed) past is the key to the present.

[My Response]- this is the third time we agree, a new record. I am a uniformitarian when it comes to the physical laws, the same from the beginning to the end, just like God said they are. Lucien seems to be ignoring what God said on this point in Je 33:25 to support his YE view. I wonder if Lucien has conveniently reinterpreted God's claim to fixed laws.  We definitely disagree on our views in this area: Lucien disagrees with God's own statement and believes that He changes the physical laws whenever He answers a prayer or whenever He is inclined to change them without notice.  It seems that Lucirn's belief that the laws are not fixed makes God into a magician and inconsistent between His statements and His actions. It seems He could be in trouble on this point, it's not good to disagree with the Father or make him out to be inconsistent.   

[Lucien]- Lee might say “a little bit of water and a lot of time carved the Grand Canyon”. I would say “a lot of water and a little bit of time carved the Grand Canyon”. What are the facts? Well, the Grand Canyon is there, and at the bottom there is the Colorado river.
We can also agree that we see billions of dead things, buried in rock layers, laid down by water all over the Grand Canyon (and even all over the world).

[My Response]- unfortunately for the YEs, a lot of water and a little time won't give the Grand Canyon it's shape. The water would just spread out and take the top soil an loose rock with it on the surface of a large plain. To get a really deep winding canyon through sandstone and other types of harder rock on a plateau, it takes a lot of time. A narrow river, lots of time, and gravity are the only natural way to cut rock to get a deep wide curving canyon.  Lucien should check his applied physics on this.   

[Lucien]- On the other hand, I would try to establish if the current decay is constant (which for C-14 it is not) and reason it may have been different in the past. Well, since it is changing today, why not in the past?

[My Response]- the cosmic Ray flux in the vicinity of earth throughout it's long history is one source of the variation. This is a function of nearby supernova and black hole ingestion of nearby matter. There are natural phenomena that produce this variation in C14. Radioactivity rates have also declined over the billions of years since the earth was created but are still providing neutrons wherever these isotopes occur (especially in areas of high radioactivity).  Free neutrons from any source of local radioactive decay can also cause this variation as well since the ratio of C14 to other isotopes of carbon is at a very low concentration of about a trillion to one. 

One has to be careful when analyzing radiocarbon dating due to the above factors. Under the right conditions reliable results are measured. YE attempts to undermine this industry's credibility intentionally to promote their ideology are always found to be fraudulent. YE claims of time constant changes have always been discovered to be erroneou based on bad sampling techniques, handling of samples, or the intentional use of the wrong dating processs to validate their claims. In short, the fraudulent claim that radiometric time constants of the elements have changed over time is pure imagination at best or an outright lie at worst.  The reader can decide for themself, which they prefer to think of the YE.   C14 variability in production by cosmic rays and local sources radioactive decay does not mean that the laws of physics are constantly changing!    

[Lucien]- Unfortunately Lee let’s science determine how to interpret Scripture, instead of Scripture.

[My Response]- that was particularly deceptive of Lucien in that he is trying to discredit my view by alleging that I interpret the Bible primarily from an external scientific perspective. A more accurate and truthful way to state my perspective is to portray me as someone who loves God's Word in the Bible and treats it with the highest respect. Only when the Bible is not clear, symbolic, or can be interpreted in more than one way by serious review from many Biblical scholars, I turn to external sources for additional information to interpret scripture.  There are very few areas that supplemental knowledge (like nature and it's physics) is required. This debate on evolution and age of the eath are two of those cases.   The Bible is not a book written by man about nature but a book written about the nature of man and what his nature should be instead. Therefore, we must turn to God's other book, Nature, that He also spoke into existance to learn how the universe works. This we learn through science and experiment, testing everything; not speculating with wild imagination that anything you want can happen. God made laws on how nature operates and has made a covenent with them wherin He works his miracles.     

Lucien is making claims about how God controls nature which simply are not factual or Biblically supportable. As a child of God, I must do what I can to correct his distortions or fantasies regarding Our Father's Creation. 

[Lucien]- Piltdown man stood for almost 40 years, a lot of people believed (atheistic) evolution because of this fraud.
“God's fixed laws”

[My Response]- Lucien has just provided good evidence for my claim that all frauds are exposed in time. Unfortunately, this one took longer than I would have hoped and I agree that he is right that Darwinism has led to many an atheist view. However, evolution isn't the enemy, it's Darwin's process that leaves out God.  The mistake that Lucien and other Creationists have made is believing that God can't be involved in evolution as if Darwin's method of random chance is the only way that changes in genetic code can occur. Hopefully YEs will begin to believe someday that God creates every new being, including Jesus from Mary according to His perfect plan and natural birth from an existing being.

After two hundred years of research into the age of the earth and evolution, the false claim that the earth is only six solar days old has been exposed as a fraud by science.  Still it is put forth by the YEs and tenaciously clung to by unenlightened Christians.  It is time for the YEs to suck up their pride, admit defeat and stop ruining Christian credibility. God wants His children to stop spreading distortions of the truth and deceptions to promote flawed views.  There is no reason to pursue this course anymore with a better option that give God glory: theistic evolution.    

[Lucien]- Lee said in an earlier post he reckons we have discovered 99.9999% of the natural laws. These state that matter/energy cannot be created, only transferred one into the other, and there is never a gain of matter/energy. God must have broken this law in the beginning. Or maybe it was in the remaining 0.0001%?

[My Response]- the Big Bang was the initial Creation event where He 'spoke'/ created the universe (matter and energy) into existence including His laws at the same time: Ge 1:1. Lucien disagrees with this.   Why does he disagree that the physical laws and energy appeared at the same moment in time? What Bible verse makes him think so? I can't find one!  To support my view, I stand on Ge 1:1 'In the beginning, God created the heavens..'  I doubt that Lucien can find as good a verse to support animals popping into existance, maybe Lucien should think about conservation of energy and it's effect on popping 'kinds' into existance from nothing while God is working within the fixed laws that He has a covenant with.    

[Lucien]- Here it is so clear that you use the present to interpret the past. Could God create the big bang into existence? If so, how is that different? Technically, I believe could have done both. Biblically, He only did one, create the rabiit-kind on day 6.

[My Response]-the difference between our two different creation events is a totally different set of physical laws. One set we have tested and know quite well. Lucien's set seems to exist outside of our universe in a mystical place like Wonderland. 

Using the existing laws of physics, if the real bunny kind popped into existance by some miracle according to God's perfect plan, there would also be an anti-bunny kind resulting from the same event. This would be a very difficult situation for the bunnies and God. If God didn't remove them within a trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second they would begin to react with the real matter surrounding them on earth and their mass would annihilate the surrounding local area of earth including the real bunnies. So God would have had to put them down the rabbit hole into Wonderland where this whole idea of popping species into existance belongs. The YE imagined method of species creation is just not workable within physical laws, it is contrived from their imagination since they don't believe that God can work through the natural laws already in place and because they don't understand them as well. If the YEs want me to show them how He uses these laws to accomplish miracles, I will be glad to, but Lucien needs to stop the smack-down approach He is playing and just ask me kindly. Instead of constantly insulting and undermining others that know something about God's laws, Lucien and other YEs might try to learn something from us. 

One would think that the laws that God created and that sustain us are worthy of learning in great detail, evidently the YEs don't believe in them or think that they are worth much.

[Lucien]- In your explanation the original sin had no affect whatsoever on Adam and Eve, then what was God removing, and more importantly, why did Jesus have to suffer and die on the cross? 

[My Response]- I think Lucien misunderstood what I was stating. Of course there was an impact to Adam and Eve. When God forced them from the garden they were in a tough world that was full of evil and without God's protection and provision. They had to work for their food and learn all about evil through experiences with it and each other. God accomplished this by simply removing His protection that He gave them while together with them in the garden and forced them out of it where they would have to provide for themselves from nature. 

Jesus had to pay for this disobediance to reconcile mankind from the Spiritual death that Adam and Eve suffered on that day: separation from God due to spiritual disobedience. There is no reason to create new laws as a result of mankind's disobedience.   

[Lucien]- This verse [Je 33] is a bit better to bolster Lee’s standpoint, but has Lee got the same knowledge about the covenant God made with the laws (that He Himself set up to begin with, see Job verse)? And if so, what is Lee’s source of revelation?

[My Response]- God was clear in Job as well as Jeremiah that the laws are fixed and no one but Him knows the laws completely or how to use them. I certainly won't pretend to know everything. But what He has shown me thus far is very impressive and worthy of learning. Lucien seems to take a radically different approach to learning about how the universe operates, in that he doesn't believe that mankind can learn much if anything about God's laws and the physical laws are not fixed as God stated, but changed often at God's discretion. It seems he believes that it is a useless or almost useless endeavor to learn physics and engineering since it can change at any time. 

[Lucien]- ... it would serve you better to trust in the Lord’s Word than in the ideas of fallible man, who don’t know everything, who weren’t there and are hindered by sin.

[My Response]-first of all we are dealing here with only a few verses out of the entire Bible where there is disagreement. I believe I have shown many reasons from a Biblical perspective why I have reached the viewpoint that I presently have. The fact that Lucien has reached a conflicting viewpoint with mine seems to be related to plain bad Biblical exegesis on the YEs part. 

I have been and always will take the Bible very seriously, so Lucien can stop this insinuation that I don't believe or trust God's Holy Word right now! It is very insulting to me.   It seems like we both study God's word with great intensity. Unfortunately, for a man of God, he lets his strong YE bias overinfluence his interpretation of certain key Bible verses which I have shown unconvincingly to him.    

[Lucien]- 2) I have already said that God did not create species, but He created the various kinds, as is said 10 times in Genesis 1. From now on, I think you should be aware there is a difference.
Why did He stop. Well, I agree with you that the natural laws are the norm, but miracles still happen all around the world, thank God! Good thing that miracles happen.  

[My Response]-this is interesting that Lucien continues to ignore God's Word when He said let the 'water bring forth' or let the 'earth bring forth' and reword these phrases by saying 'God created the various kinds'. 'bara' was not used in the phrasing here related to God or the kinds. I thought Lucien took the words in the Bible seriously and literally. Why does he reword the verses except to distort God's word to sell His biased position.    

[Lucien]- Science won’t give you a virgin birth. Science won’t raise someone from the dead on day 3. Science won’t feed four- or five thousand from a few loaves and fish...

[My Response]- of course not, science is not an intelligent being. I think Lucien meant to say natural laws instead of science.  This is another example of Lucien's contempt for scientists it seems to me.   Science is a process used by intelligent humans to discover what is true about the universe as opposed to wild speculation and the disregard of facts which the YEs seem to promote. How did the YEs get to be so anti-science? Christian governments and churches heavily invested in the scientific process hundreds of years ago in the middle ages because they wanted to know and understand God's design. Now after finding out so much about the universe that supports this design view, the YEs are now trying to trash talk and undermine science. What is going on in their minds? It seems to me that Satan has played another cruel trick on a fairly large segment of Christisns in getting them to believe that science is evil and the universe isn't designed with a perfect set of laws that He uses to control His Creation.  

I want to compliment Lucien on one thing though, it is a great verse that he selected to show that the Trinity Created this universe, one of my favorites and a wonderful verse to end with. 

Colossians 1:
16 For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.

Brother Lee

PS If you are still reading this and still with me, may God bless you.

Last edited by InfinitLee on Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Smileys)

642Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty Psalm 11:3 Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:13 am

sumiala

sumiala

If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?
(argue amongst themselves?)

Nice pic Bret (not unfamiliar to me!)

L
(form newark. I suspect there is the odd chance i might come in your direction, but usually that is decided ad hoc)

643Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty *** Posted by Popular Demand *** Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:34 am

lordfry

lordfry

Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Kenham10

Bret* 2010

644Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty *** The Coming Paradigm Shift !!! *** Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:14 pm

lordfry

lordfry

Clean-up on aisle 4 !!!
Lucien ...
I just got Dave to remove your last posting misstep
and now there's another one?
Stu has done this a couple of times in the past as well!
DAVE !!!
Get the dust-pan & a broom! Surprised
Now to explain this post's title ...
Just as this Blog has shifted from EVERYONE against ME ...
(in the past)... to EVERYONE against LEE !!!
I believe it's the use of SIMPLE Logic ... backed by the
undisputed facts of Science ... that will lead the World
to the "Coming Paradigm Shift" in the debate about the
existence of an Eternal Creator GOD !!!
Evolution Theory WILL die on the vine ... as its purpose
will become moot ... when Philosophical Reasoning is
properly marketed to expose the Scientifically untenable
stances of Atheism & Agnosticism !!!
Because ... when it is proved that God does exist ...
NOBODY will be arguing HOW God did it ... but they WILL be
arguing WHICH God did it ???
Does anybody (other than Lee) disagree with this view of the future?

Bret* 2010

645Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty Sorry for post in other thread Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:52 am

sumiala

sumiala

Hi Stu,

yes, I would like to think that all of us would go along with choice 3) God created.
But this is one of the 4 power questions to ask an evolutionist, posed by Mike Riddle who was at our church recently.
I believe the three options are the only ones you could come up with (yes, there are some that say nothing really exists, but arguing with them is virtually impossible, only way is to take their wallet and claim it does not really exist).
If you can demolish possibilities 1) and 2), which is quite easy using natural laws, then you are left with possibility 3) which thus must be true, since the other ones have been shown false.

Lucien

646Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty I'll go along, a bit Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:40 am

sumiala

sumiala

Hi Stu and Bret,

yes, I would go along that ID can be a great tool.
I do not go along with the ID-long age idea, but the ID idea does not require long age.

So looks like we found at least some common ground.

L

647Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty ID Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:01 am

stu

stu

Thanks Bret for your post. You and I are in agreement!! ID is just a tool for the message, not the message itself.

However, I consider my "team" to be Christianity (of the born again, inerrancy type) not the YE, OE, TE or any other interpretation of it. That's why my goal in these debates is finding common ground among us.

You're right. The theological message of ID is at best -- God exisits i.e., pre-evangelism. But that is a great incremental step (a wedge) to bring science back to where it once was -- the pursuit of Truth wherever the evidence may lead. The heavy lifting to "Jesus is Lord" still has to be done by the Christian evangelist.

lordfry

lordfry

Stu & Lu ...

Here's how I see BOTH sides of the Intelligent Design Movement!

Stu said ... "If I have to classify myself I resonate most with
the Intelligent Design community and have a hard time understanding
why most Christians wouldn't."

Then Lucien said ... "Some (a lot?) of the the IDM people would argue
there is ID in creatures (I agree), but would not name the Designer.
As a Christian, I would give the glory to the Lord Christ jesus!"

Personally ... I do enjoy the academic level of which the I.D.M. has
attacked the Atheistic stronghold on the Sciences!
I have books written by Berlinski, Behe, Wells, Johnson, & Meyers!
Brilliant Men who are holding the feet of false teachings to the
fire of Truth!
They have (intentionally) dodged ANY association with Christianity,
the Bible, or any other Religious ideologies!
Is this because they are Evil or anti-Christian?
I don't believe this is the case!
They wanted to avoid the Religious attacks that the Creationism
movement had unfairly been stigmatized with!
But what has actually happened?
Because Intelligence strongly implies a "God"... they found out very
quickly that "Science" is NOT allowed to pursue research into ANY
evidence that supports the inevitability that "God" exists !!!
Science has been subverted by Atheists ... as a substitution for "God"!
Science is (sadly) now considered the guarantor of Truth ... NOT "God"!
Thinking that I.D. would be openly accepted by the Scientific Community
because it ONLY dealt with known Scientific technologies ... was quickly
and firmly put to bed ... as the I.D.M. is under constant attack by
(so-called) open-minded Scientists !!!
My personal FEARS about the I.D.M. are the following!
At BEST ... they only promote Deism !!!
No "God" is any better than another?
Even beliefs such as Scientology are legitimized by their arguments!
Since the I.D.M. has already been (successfully) tarred & feathered
with the Creationism 2.0 plumage ... I believe that they should stop
the charade ... and PROUDLY come out and say "THE" God ... and not
just "A" God !!!
I'm NOT against them!
But ... I only consider them as a "Tool" for MY Team ...
NOT "The" Team ... of which I am a member!

Bret* 2010

649Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty ID Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:29 am

sumiala

sumiala

Hi Stu.

the Intelligent Design Movement (IDM) has all sorts of people in it.
It is nice to hear some evangelicals are reaching out.
Some (a lot?) of the the IDM people would argue there is ID in creatures (I agree), but would not name the Designer.
As a Christian, I would give the glory to the Lord Christ jesus!

Blessings from Scotland!

Lucien

650Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 26 Empty Answer to Lucien Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:54 am

stu

stu

On the canopy quote you're right. I misread your statement about the ice age.

Regarding ID - ID is a scientific enterprise, not a theological one. It is extremely helpful in pre-evangelism as it supports a creationist worldview. Many, if not most of the people involved in the movement, and ones I read, are evangelicals (Stephen Meyer, William Dembski, Phillip Johnson, et.al.) although I find others very helpful as well -- David Belinski, Jonathan Wells, Michael Behe, et. al.

Check it out for yourself and tell me what you think. They have a great podcast http://intelligentdesign.podomatic.com/[url][/url]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 26 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum