Earthage 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Earthage 101

A creationist forum to discuss how old the Earth is...All about how God may have done it. No argument whether God did it. We all believe he did.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Young Earth or Old Earth? Here is where to post your thoughts!

+7
InfinitLee
Rob
flyin2orion
BrokenMan
stu
lordfry
Admin
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down  Message [Page 21 of 40]

501Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty Questions on Resolving Ge1&2 Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:31 pm

InfinitLee

InfinitLee

Bret and Lucien, this could be a full time job just writing responses to everyone. I will send you a response as soon as possible as I am traveling tomorrow and going to a luau now.

Stu, sorry I took so long to get back to you.  We took the road to Hana yesterday and around the eastern part of the island.   Too tired when we got back to blog.   Please see my responses and questions below related to the comments in your last post on Resolving Genesis 1 and 2. 

I am also wondering why does the Bible make the following claim if Ge 2 is a chronological and literal supplement to Ge 1.

Genesis 2:4 'This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created - when the LORD God made the earth and heavens.'

It states that 'this is the account', if what follows is a chronological supplement about 'Day6'  in a local area somewhere between Africa to the Middle East, the above verse is certainly would say something along those lines. The statement is actually contrary to the view that what follows is supplemental to GE 1.  It seems to me as more of an alternative account of creation than the account just preceeding it in Genesis 1 thru GE 2:3. How do you reconcile this?

[Stu] Creation of Eve -- God anesthetized Adam directly; took a biopsy from his side and introduced new information into Adam's DNA code creating Eve directly. (1 Cor 11:12 - "the woman originates from the man.")

[Lee]- Since you believe that Adam was made from earth and water directly as a special creation by God and Eve was cloned from Adam with some special infused genetic code added to Adam's genetic code, why are the chromosomes and nucleotide sequences so close between humans and monkeys? Based on a unique design, there should be major rearrangements of the sequences and chromosomes to optimize the human genome eliminating disfunctional sequences.  Instead the human genome has 23 chromosomes compared to the ape's 24 with two obviously combined into one human chromosome if one reviews the detailed sequences of each of the chromosomes. If God did create Adam and Eve as you believe as pure unique ex nihilo creations, there should be no match whatsoever to the ape or any other biological creature since an  infinitely wise creator can order the sequences perfectly ex nihilo to create the perfect man and women.  However,  instead the women's genetic code with two Xs is a closer match to the female apes sequences than it is to a human male's with one X and one Y due to the nucleotide count difference between chromosomes with about 95 million more base pairs in the X chromosome. The X contains about 5% of the total genome where the Y contains only about 2%. Also where did Adam's mitochondrial DNA come from and get into Eve since it only is passed through the mother?  Please explain how this can be, if female human's were created as you suggest.     

[Stu] Water - Water existed from the beginning but the hydrologic cycle was not always in operation. Since Gen 2 only focuses on man and his environs, it is also possible that the text is only talking about Eden being watered by the "mist" as it may be located in an arid desert region.

[Lee]- I agree that the hydrologic cycle was not always in operation but as we read in Genesis 1:6 God said, "Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters and let it separate water from water.  Genesis 1:7 So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. It was so.  Genesis 1:8 God called the expanse "sky." There was evening, and there was morning, a second day.

If Ge 2 is is treated as supplemental and occurring after Ge 1, we see from these verses that God has already completed this step prior to Ge 2. At one point all land had been under water with no separation between the waters below in the oceans and the waters above in the sky. Water was constantly falling from day 1, and it was the hydrologic cycle that stopped it from falling constantly in some places, and later allowing the sun, moon, and stars to be seen.  So why would this Ge 2:5 verse ' ...for the LORD God had not caused it to rain on the earth, and there was no man to cultivate the ground. ' claim that rain had never fallen on the earth if Ge 2 follows chronologically as you believe. Again, this seems to be an alternative account from a different perspective. How do you reconcile these points logically?     

[Stu] Order of creation -- This is articulated in Gen 1. Gen 2 only provides additional details about the centerpiece of the story -- mankind. Gen 2 is not about the creation of the animals, but on Adam naming them. Gen 2 simply restates that God had previously made the animals and now He's bringing them to Adam. This is the start of God explaining "relationship" between His created beings. The texts are complementary not contradictory.

[Lee]- I agree with your view that mankind is the centerpiece of the story.  You also seem to be agreeing with me that Ge 2 is not chronologically correct, and that Ge 1 is the materially chronologically correct version. I even agree with your point on 'explaining relationship' between man and the other created beings. This is why I see this chapter as a spiritual allegory that relates the deep spiritual connection between God and humans as I have stated on numerous occassions. It seems we may only differ here on methodology on how the biology was created. You seem to take this 'supplemental' information literally, while I take it allegorically. Neither viewpoint seems to impact our love for God and and trust in Him as the Creator, however, other people seem to become unglued at the mere suggestion of belief in either. What is it that makes this so explosive a topic, uncertainty in belief?     

[Stu] From the dust -- Mankind and every created thing share 100% of the same atomic particles, not just 99% of the same chemical composition. This is evidence of common design not common descent.

[Lee]- Since you believe that Ge 2 is not chronological but covers the entire time span of creation, since Adam was not really made out of mud which has a high silicon content as well as other metals, and you believe in the close match in human and ape genome from a design perspective, what is so offensive about evolutionary creation (using the Hugh Ross name for my view) as a different way for God to make the first humans?  

Or do you believe as literally stated on Ge1 Day 6 that Adam was made out of atomically filtered mud and Eve was made from some small number of Adam's cells genetically modified by God to include Adam's coding DNA that matches female monkey DNA to 99% and 95% of the remainder including mitochondrial DNA?  Do you also believe that then God rapidly grew these cells into a fully formed women in a matter of seconds to hours using altered laws of physics? At that point was Eve capable of fully functional speech and language comprehension between God, Adam,  and a talking snake?  I believe ths is the YE position on these verses but I am unsure if you believe this as well.   

Or do you believe as I do, that these verses are allegorical and not methodological but spiritually and relationally descriptive?

Lee    

502Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty wisdom? Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:55 am

sumiala

sumiala

Hi Bret,

I would like to quote two passages from 2 Corinthians.
But I am not going to.
I will let everyone look it up for himself, as we are all lovers of the Word.
Chapter 1:12-14
Chapter 11:1-6

Now let me make a bold statement.
Those people that I have witnessed here, i.e. Bret, Dave, Lee, Lucien, Stuart (and others?) all have an above average IQ. However, the Bible is not only for those people, but also for people with IQ's lower than 100.
The Word is not only for people from the last two centuries, but most certainly for those before it, knowing that the full text had been penned down before 200 AD.
All the new technologies in the world will not change on iota of the Word, and people (and evil spirits) have misled people by misusing God's Word. (hint: Satan started it in Gen. 3)
We must approach Scripture with humility, assuming we know next to nothing, compared to God.

I would like to end by quoting 2 Peter 3:14-17 (NKJV)
14 Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; 15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.
17 You therefore, beloved, since you know this beforehand, beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked; 18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen.

503Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty *** A more Compassionate Conclusion *** Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:11 am

lordfry

lordfry

Maybe ... it is possible to put a softer face on my harsh conclusions?
Let's say that I'm a kind of "Idiot Savant"?
Someone who's knowledge exceeds his apparent limited capabilities!
And ... let's say that Lee is some sort of "Mad Scientist"?
Someone who's ideas are so far ahead of the curve that the common man
can not follow his path beyond the limited knowledge that they can
easily understand ... and are more comfortable with believing!
Maybe? ... just maybe? ...
this is a better ... and more acceptable way to explain why both
of us are so often misunderstood?

Bret* 2010

504Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty good logics Bret Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:32 pm

sumiala

sumiala

Hi Bret.

Well done on the logic of your most recent post to Lee.
I don't think you are stupid and somehow I don't think Lee is insane.
It is clear the the OE / YE views may taint even an article, I guess.
We all have the same facts, but our beginning assumptions (out of the scientific realm) determine the direction we go with these facts.

Lee, thanks for your most recent post to me.
At least now I know that you know what I meant.
You are right that I should prove my view with Scripture.
For now, it is based on logic, performed with my God-given brain.

To me, like you now have proven to understand, if God generates new information, previously unknown to Him, then this new information would add to His omniscience.
It is like saying something like: before He knew 90% of the total information to be known (over time), but now He is a step closer to attaining 100%.

To use an analogy.
It is possible that I may know a building that is being built perfectly. Every stone, wooden beam, metal beams, wires, drainage, etc. But if I tell you now that the building is not completely finished, but only built for 90%, am I therefore omniscient over time?
NO NO NO.
I knew 100% of the information at one point in time, but not 100% of the information over ALL of time, therefore I was not truly omniscient over past, present and future.

I have to give you one lead how you can tackle my logic (am I not nice?):
Before Gen. 1 there was no time, because in Gen. 1:1 time (and space and energy/matter) was created.

Lucien

Last edited by sumiala on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:55 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo's and punctuation)

505Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty *** Double Vision? *** Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:41 pm

lordfry

lordfry

Lee ...

You are an enigma wrapped in a conundrum! (Is that better?) Embarassed
It's almost like we're speaking two different languages to each other?
Somehow ... we can both read the exact same thing (in English) but come
away with two completely different conclusions?
Faced with this reality ... your logical explanation for this would be
my inferior formal education ... (and because of my YE stance)... you
have also concluded that my overall mental aptitude must be somewhere
between a troglodyte and a sub-intellectual?
I ... on the other hand ... prefer to seek a less pretentious explanation!
Sadly ... this leaves me with the logical conclusion that you're either
delusional or disingenuous?
I am cognizant of the fact that it could be myself that is suffering from
delusions instead of you ... but because my views are far less eccentric
than yours ... this would statistically play in my favor!
Since I know that I'm not being disingenuous with the facts ... this one
can also be ruled out for me as well!
I'm willing to take you at your word that you're not being disingenuous!
So ... the only logical explanation for our diverse conclusions from
viewing the exact same information is that either:
I am too stupid?
or
You are delusional?
or
Of course ... both could be true?
Maybe the only way for us to continue to have any kind of meaningful dialog
is for BOTH of us to come to terms with the premise that:
You think I'm a Moron!
and
I believe you're Insane!
As Christians ... we owe it to each other to ... at the very least ... be honest!
So ... let's put our subjective personal views aside ... and post-up what
each of us believe are the objective facts ... and we'll let the jury decide?
I love you Brother! No matter what!

Bret* 2010

Last edited by lordfry on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total

506Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty Divine Generation of Information Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:14 pm

InfinitLee

InfinitLee

Hi Lucien,
Maybe my challenge is understanding why God can't generate new information. I think He can be all knowing and still generate new information because He is the one that is generating it. I also think God is dynamic in time in that His characteristics are static but He can create and generate things and ideas in His own set of time dimensions that are totally different than ours. Do you agree or disagree with any of my views and why? I base a lot of my view on Biblical statements although a lot of my view is speculation of course.

Lee Question

507Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty sigh Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:58 am

sumiala

sumiala

Hi Lee

I think Bret asked you if you read the article.
Just say yes, or read it, and then say yes, and take it from there.

When it comes to the information dialogue you and I are having, I think you are missing the point.
You said "I am stating that the origination of information by God occurred before the universe was started."
Origination means that it had a beginning point in time.
God is eternal, and is outside of time.
God cannot originate new information, because if He could originate something new to Himself, He would not be omniscient.
I don't think I can explain it any simpler than this.

Lucien

508Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty Positrons, Electrons, and Information Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:46 am

InfinitLee

InfinitLee

Dear Bret,

I am sorry for getting you angry to the point of making false accusations about me. I am not being disingenuous, deceptive, drunk, or any of the other assorted labels to my character that you have misapplied.  I was just trying to get you to state your view on exactly how the positrons got there if it didn't come from photons, pure energy. The claim that scientists are making, is that two or more passing photons with enough energy combined will create a matter / anti-matter pair of particles.   I am just looking for your version of how anti-matter can appear if it didn't occur as the author stated from photon interaction. I agree with you that the experiment started with electron beams and lasers and with the people involved. That's not the point of the experiment. The experiment was all about generating matter and anti-matter from photons. That is what the authors state anyway. 

Would you please be more civil and Christian like in your response this time around?  The insinuations and insults are getting outrageous, again!

Lucien- I am stating that the origination of information by God occurred before the universe was started. The information included our dimensional relationships as well as the energy patterns superimposed on various dimensions that exist in our universe. He has run our universe completely through it's history and knows exactly how it starts and ends.  All of the information from God's perspective is known. 

Stu, thanks for your responses. I will get back to you with a reply soon. It is very difficult keeping up with all of you while on vacation.  

Lee  Cool

509Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty Resolving Genesis 1 and 2 Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:18 am

stu

stu

Lee - As you requested I have resolved in my mind the issues you have raised as follows. I hope it is of value to you.

Creation of Eve -- God anesthetized Adam directly; took a biopsy from his side and introduced new information into Adam's DNA code creating Eve directly. (1 Cor 11:12 - "the woman originates from the man.")

Water - Water existed from the beginning but the hydrologic cycle was not always in operation. Since Gen 2 only focuses on man and his environs, it is also possible that the text is only talking about Eden being watered by the "mist" as it may be located in an arid desert region.

Order of creation -- This is articulated in Gen 1. Gen 2 only provides additional details about the centerpiece of the story -- mankind. Gen 2 is not about the creation of the animals, but on Adam naming them. Gen 2 simply restates that God had previously made the animals and now He's bringing them to Adam. This is the start of God explaining "relationship" between His created beings. The texts are complementary not contradictory.

From the dust -- Mankind and every created thing share 100% of the same atomic particles, not just 99% of the same chemical composition. This is evidence of common design not common descent.

http://christperspectives.wordpress.com

510Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty *** Disingenuous-Lee *** Mon May 31, 2010 4:20 pm

lordfry

lordfry

Lee ...

Let me break this down (for the 3rd time) so even you might be able to understand it!
You always tell everyone (that doesn't agree with you) that they obviously know nothing
about Science and/or they are just too stupid to understand concepts at your self-anointed level ... !!!
You then tell everyone to go back and reread your previously posted doggerel ...
as if we're being punished ... akin to being sent to the back of the line!
May I suggest ... that YOU go back and read what I wrote ... then read the article
that YOU posted a link to ... and PLEASE tell me & everyone else ... ANYTHING that
I've stated that is not 100% completely & totally accurate ... as verified by YOUR very
own (self-approved) source of credibility ???
Did you even read the article?
Not just the headline!
And ... not just the hyperbole stated in the first paragraph!
Read the ENTIRE article ... including the names of the physicists who were involved
with the project! The very first name listed (Kirk McDonald) is who I referenced as
my source for information!
After you FAIL to show ANY error on my part ... it will be YOUR credibility and
integrity that has suffered a mortal blow !!!

Bret* 2010

511Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty information Mon May 31, 2010 5:24 am

sumiala

sumiala

Hi Lee

You closed with:
"The information that He generated is certainly known by Him already. Please explain why if you disagree."

If He already knows it, then what is there to generate?
That is really my question.
To me, the word generation means to establish something new. And typing it in on the dictionary and it seems that I am right in that.
So you and I agree that before time, space and energy began, He was (if you can even use the past tense without there being time units) omniscient, so how could He generate some new information?
I don't seem to follow you argument. It seems contradictory to the definition of omniscience (all-knowing).

Lucien

512Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty More Logic and Facts, Less Dogma Please Mon May 31, 2010 5:03 am

InfinitLee

InfinitLee

Hi Stu,

Yes, please address each point specifically. Referring to other books only provides a diversion to our readers and envokes a sense of pushing dogma at them. I have studied Genesis 1 & 2 extensively and meant every word that I wrote. I don't think you understood it though based on your reply. Please reread, I believe in inerrancy, but not a literal translation of Ge 2 but a symbolic spiritual interpretation, since it conflicts with Ge 1 on the points I've stated. Please logically address them one by one if you can, and tell me how you have logically resolved them in your mind. The readers can make up there own minds on which view makes better sense to them: literal vs symbolic.

Bret,
Your bluster and insinuation of deception doesn't carry much persuasiveness with me or anyone that knows much science and is not a YE already. Maybe you can improve your credibility, by pointing out your rationale technically that near proximity high energy photons can't generate matter and anti-matter pairs. I would love to see your technical arguement that is totally counter to accepted and tested theory held by the scientific establishment. Please no lame referral to some YE generated article. We need some real logic and data behind your claim as best you can explain it. Otherwise your last response will come off as pure bluster.

Lucien,
I couldn't follow your logic, you seemed to make my point about God knowing everything before He created the universe, which I couldn't agree more on. Yet, your point on generating new information was lost on me (and perhaps others). You may have missed my point somehow that God is eternal and outside of our time constraints and that to God the entire history of our universe with all it's contents from beginning to end is completely known. The information that He generated is certainly known by Him already. Please explain why if you disagree.

BTW, Thanks for being civil on the last post, Bro!

Lee

513Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty Answer to Lee - "Comparing Genesis 1 & 2" Mon May 31, 2010 2:12 am

stu

stu

Dear Lee,

Regardless of where you and I end up on the "popping into existence" question, please don't end up justifying your beliefs on "apparent discrepancies between Genesis 1 & 2." There are none. I know you believe that the Bible is God's inerrant Word (if you did not then there would be no sense even discussing this matter). Losing or weakening one's belief in inerrancy is of much more concern to me than the science we are arguing. I urge you as your brother in Christ to reconsider the implications of your statement, "..there is a severe problem of credibility taking Genesis 2 literally here. Based on a literal interpretation of both Genesis 1 to Genesis 2 we find that the sequence of creation events inconsistent."
There is no inconsistency. There are very simple and obvious explanations to each point you bring up.

The liberal critics of the Bible have been bringing up this matter ever since the mid-18th century starting with Jean Astruc and Johann Eichhorn. It started the "higher criticism movement" which has led many to reject the Bible as the Word of God. I urge you to study the history of "higher criticism" along with several conservative commentaries which will answer all the critic's issues. (I can recommend any number of good ones.)

Each one of the points you bring up has been thoroughly answered and refuted. If you end up rejecting these straight forward explanations, you might as well give up your marriage to the Bible. Anything Genesis says about the creation will end up open to any wind of criticism. I am not talking in hyperbole -- this is a very serious matter. We are not talking about science and tentative hypotheses. We are talking about God's absolute textbook which when it speaks, God speaks.

Please re-read Genesis 2 and ask yourself, is this really a general creation account? There is no mention of the formation of the sun, moon, stars, oceans. There can be no general creation account without them! The chapter opens with the statement that creation of the heavens and the earth was complete (v1-3); with v4 summing up all that had already happened. Now v5 starts dealing with the purpose of Gen 2 - details regarding the creation of mankind. Gen 1 gives the chronological order. Gen 2 then fills in the details of the main event -- mankind. Gen 2 is built on the foundation of Gen 1. It was never intended to be a general or chronological creation account. Gen 1 &2 are meant to be read as supplementary not as parallel chronological accounts. This should be obvious.

There is no inconsistency between Gen 1 and Gen 2. I beg you as your friend to seriously reconsider your statement which I consider on the level of "breaking your marriage vows" (to the Bible). If you would like me to address each one of the apparent contradictions you bring up, I would be glad to. But I encourage you to do it for yourself. Get a couple good conservative commentaries and study them with the same fervor you study your scientific texts.

Your concerned brother in Christ,

Stu

514Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty All against Lee? Sat May 29, 2010 7:15 pm

sumiala

sumiala

Lee said: "This is just like God planned using information that He generated."
Hmmm. Really?
If God is omniscient, that means He knows all there is to know.
If He still generates information, than He was not omniscient to begin with, and thus not God.
So I don't think there is any generating of information happening at all.
And if this is true, then doesn't that undermine some of Lee's post?

LT
(not in Hawaii, but on my way back from Sao Paulo, via Amsterdam)

515Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty *** Mulligan's Island *** Sat May 29, 2010 5:17 pm

lordfry

lordfry

Aloha Lee ...

I'm glad that you mentioned the fact that you're vacationing in Hawaii
this week! I would have surely taken you to task for pretending that my
analysis of the energy-to-matter experiments was anything less than 100% accurate !!!
Your linked article totally verified every single thing that I stated !!!
So ... I'm willing to give you a mulligan on this apparent attempt at deception!
We all know how the beauty of the islands (and a couple of those drinks with
the cute little umbrellas) can cloud ones mind enough to eat the poi !!!
After you make your way back to the mainland ... and manage to get all of
the sand out of your shorts ... I may be more apt to hold your feet to the
fire ... if this kind of misrepresentation of the FACTS appears to be intentional?
But ... for now my friend ... I hope you're enjoying your stay in paradise!

Bret* 2010

InfinitLee

InfinitLee

Bret and Stu, greetings from Hawaii! The blog is not my focus this week, but I didn't want to leave you wondering on this topic.  

Here is an article on how some scientists created matter and anti-matter from photons in 1997.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1997/09/970918045841.htm

Very high energy photons don't have a very long shelf life, when they have sufficient energy to create a particle they generate various other matter and anti-matter pairs they obey rules such as conservation of charge, momentum, and nucleon number. They quickly decompose into matter and anti-matter pairs, this has been demonstated many times in experiment. 

This is just like God planned using information that He generated. when He created a set of dimensions with imbedded wave patterns that would unfold into our universe. A slight asymmetry in the patterns produced more matter than antimatter and a timed cascaded series of dimensional unfolding. Without the very detailed information provided in the initial conditions, this universe could have unfolded in many different ways with much different physical laws than we have if random chance was in control. The mathematical possibilities are enormous according to string theorists. However, God chose just the right set of initial conditions to unfold his perfect plan. That's how great He is! Now that's what I call a 'word' and you call popping out something from nothing. 

Lee    

517Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty The ex nihilo problem Sat May 29, 2010 4:45 am

stu

stu

Lee,

There are only 3 possibilities for creation -
(1) out of God
(2) out of pre-existing material
(3) out of nothing (ex nihilo)

We both reject (1) and (2) -- correct? Then (3) is necessarily true. So apparently we are stuck on how ex nihilo (en) works -- correct? You allow en at the instantaneous beginning of creation because at that time the fixed laws of physics (flop) were also created en -- correct? I say that en happened at distinct times over the six days of creation. You say en at those times violates flop -- correct?

We both agree that information is at the heart of the creative process and that information is neither matter nor energy -- correct? We both agree that God works "miracles" (doesn't "violate" flop) by interjecting information into nature which initiates cause and effect within flop(my last post) -- correct? So I don't understand our disagreement. We're just both stuck on how God does en.

I'm satisfied with that He said He did it without explaining the how. You however have arrived at a scientific explanation of the how. I don't think you have. In fact, I think your search is fruitless and is leading you away from the clear "information" contained in Scripture.

You indicated that my en violates flop because it would cause a matter/anti-matter vaporization. But your pushing en back to the instant of creation and co-terminus with the creation of flop would do the same thing. All I see your explanation doing is showing that ex nihilo is impossible; in which case we would not be having this discussion.

lordfry

lordfry

Semantic-Lee ...

You are usually not one to leave out ALL of the details ... unless!
it might seem to help your argument! (kind of sneaky ... Yes?) Suspect
Your high energy Photon (a Gamma-Ray Photon) is created by shooting
a Photon Laser Beam into a (near light-speed) stream of Electrons!
Which ... (on occasion) can briefly separate into an Electron & a Positron!
So ... if we take (a lot of) Matter (Electrons)... and we smash it into
a Photon Laser Beam ... we end up with Electrons & Photons!
Oh yeah! ... and an occasional Positron! ... But WAIT !!!
A Positron is NOT even Matter! It's Anti-Matter!
Please ... let me know when someone smashes some "PURE" Energy into some
more "PURE" Energy ... and a single Atom of ANYTHING is left on the table?
I'm not saying it's impossible! I'm just saying it hasn't happened yet !!!
As for my comment about needing ALL of the Energy of the Sun focused onto a
single point to produce less than an ounce of Matter ...
I was quoting Princeton physicist Kirk McDonald ... who is one of the
pioneers in this EXACT area of Particle Physics !!! Wink
All of that non-sense aside ...
Could you please tell me WHAT Law of Physics says that it's possible to
convert "Spoken Words" or "Thoughts" into tangible Energy ???
Information is NOT tangible! ... Energy & Matter are !!!
So God created that which is "Tangible"... from that which is NOT !!!
Moses ... smell the Roses! ... POOF! POP! BANG! ... "Ex Nihilo" !!! cheers
So ... if you still want to play semantical games with this? ...
you'll just being plucking pedals off of the SAME Rose!

Bret* 2010

519Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty Ex Nihilo Vaporized Wed May 26, 2010 9:20 am

InfinitLee

InfinitLee

Stu,
I love CS Lewis, I wish he were alive today and still battling secular views with us. He was right on with what he said about the coordination of miracles and the physical laws. His spermatazoa example was very enlightening on most of his view except he didn't specify whether it popped out of nothing or was engineered out of bodily ingrediants. I am inclined to believe that CS would say that God used existing materials found inside the womb. Anyway, I enjoyed hearing from you and CS on this topic. It seems that both of you agree that God works within the laws He established. I'm curious in your views on how biological life can be created within the laws of physics. I have already blogged my views on what would happen if life came out of nothing using the existing laws: a matter/ antimatter explosion.

Bret,

High energy photons can split into matter and anti-matter particles. Scientists have seen this in accelerator bubble chambers many times. It doesn't take the power of the sun to do this, just a functioning high energy particle smasher. The particles produced are small and don't require that much energy.

You probably were anticipating this, but my choice is is D. Sorry! Information made energy, energy made particles, particles make humans with minds. Information also created our dimensions. A lot of information is needed to make us of course.

Lee

Lee

Last edited by InfinitLee on Wed May 26, 2010 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Title added)

lordfry

lordfry

Lee ...

Whether you believe that I can understand your complex views & reasoning
or not ... doesn't negate the fact that I DO get it!
There's no need for you to water anything down for my consumption ... I GET IT !!!
I think our problem is (often) semantics ... more than substance?
I'm trying to pin you down on some simple questions ... but keep getting
answers that sound like a lawyer running for public office!
Let me try to extract some actual realities from your following statement?

Clearly we are here on this planet constructed of atoms and operating within the laws of physics 24/7.
Particle smashers have shown us decisively that matter can be converted to energy and vice versa,
so at some point in our history out of energy our particles materialized to build this miraculous place.

First ... just for the record ... Man has NEVER taken just pure energy and
converted it into matter! Even in theory ... it would take ALL of the energy of
the Sun focused on a single point to create less than an ounce of matter!
But I digress ...
Are you saying that:

a). God is energy! And out of His substance He converted some of Himself into matter?
b). God created energy (out of NOTHING)... then converted this energy into matter?
c). Energy & God are BOTH eternal ... and God took this (coexistent) energy and converted it into matter?

Please ... do not say (d)... God converted His "information" into energy ...
and then used that energy to create matter ... because that violates ALL known LAWS of Physics !!!
I am with you 100% on the whole Anthropic Principle arguments!
But ... as for whether you are in camp A, B, or C ... is still very unclear to me?

Bret* 2010

521Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty Response to Lee #2 - On Miracles Mon May 24, 2010 1:37 pm

stu

stu

Lee,

Before I go any further dialoging with you regarding theistic evolution, I would like to explain why I have no problem with God "popping" things into existence during the history of creation rather than building the mechanisms into the original creative event (predetermination) as I understand you to believe.

I don't like "violation" of the laws of Nature either. And if I thought miracles were a "violation" I would object too. But I don't see it that way. Admittedly my views are informed by C. S. Lewis' exposition in his book Miracles, chapter 8, "Miracles and the Laws of Nature." I am going to share with you extensive quotes from his book ...

Stu

"It is inaccurate to define a miracle as something that breaks the laws of Nature. It doesn't....If God creates a miraculous spermatozoon in the body of a virgin, it does not proceed to break any laws. The laws at once take it over. Nature is ready. Pregnancy follows, according to all then normal laws, and nine months later a child is born...

It does not violate the law's proviso, "If A, then B": it says, "But this time instead of A, A2." and Nature, speaking through all her laws replies, "Then B2" and naturalizes the immigrant, as she well knows how. She is an accomplished hostess.

A miracle is emphatically not an event without cause or without results. Its cause is the activity of God: its results follow according to Natural law .... The reason (people find this) intolerable is that they start by taking Nature to be the whole of reality. And they are sure that all reality must be interrelated and consistent. I agree with them. But I think they have mistaken a partial system within reality , namely Nature for the whole....

The great complex event called Nature, and the new particular event introduced into it by miracle, are related by their common origin in God, and doubtless, if we knew enough, most intricately related in His purpose and design, so that a Nature which had had a different history, and therefore been a different nature, would have been invaded by different miracles or by none at all. In that way the miracles and the previous course of Nature are as well interlocked as any other two realities, but you must go back as far as their common Creator to find the interlocking....

The rightful demand that all reality should be consistent and systematic does not therefore exclude miracles: but it has a very valuable contribution to make to our conception of them. It reminds us that miracles, if they occur, must, like all events, be revelations of that total harmony of all that exists. Nothing arbitrary, nothing simply "stuck on" and left unreconciled with the texture of total reality, can be admitted. By definition, miracles must of course interrupt the usual course of Nature; but if they are real they must, in the very act of so doing, assert all the more unity and self-consistency of total reality at some deeper level.
..."

522Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty The Biola ID event with Stephen Meyer Sun May 23, 2010 1:30 am

stu

stu

Three of us attended (Lee Hummel, Martin Fessenmaier, and myself) and had a wonderful night. The best part of the evening was an AHA MOMENT for the 1400 of us who spontaneously broke out into a chorus of laughter and applause when Meyer's opponent conceded Meyer's thesis -- that "design" is indeed "inference to the best explanation!" Meyer's argument is breaking through to the masses because it is simple, elegant, and scientific! Not to mention its logical implication which points, those of us who choose to believe, to the Designer. Amen.

As you know, ID does not give a profession of faith, but rather it gives reasons for faith. As an apologist I am fully on board with the movement and Meyer is a great spokesman for it. He is humble, engaging, smart and communicates complex concepts in terms ordinary people can understand. Even his AHA MOMENT was done without pride or put-down, but as a logical and irrefutable acknowledgement of what his opponent was saying. When the debate gets to that level, all any opponent can say is, "I just don't like your explanation and am willing to wait for a better (naturalistic) one." To which we can say, as Meyer did, " Which, in a strict sense, concedes that the one I offer is currently best."

I understand the Discovery Institute will be putting up the audio of the event at www.signatureinthecell.com. I also invite you to learn about Stephen and his work at www.stephencmeyer.org. And for those of you who want to invest two hours and be fully informed and entertained, listen to his presentation at the C.S. Lewis Society event where he is joined by the great mind of David Berlinski, and insightful commentary by host Michael Medved http://www.discovery.org/v/1781.

Science has shown that we had a Beginner. Now it is confirming that we also had a Designer. What a great time to be an apologist for the Creator (Col 1:16).

Stu

523Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty The Spiritual Nature of Man (Part 1) Sat May 22, 2010 8:58 am

InfinitLee

InfinitLee

If the last one happily surprised you, check this out on our spiritual nature. It was getting too long so I will split it into two digestible clunks. Also, I sometime wonder, Bret, if you understand what I have written, not that this concept is easy, it is very hard to grasp for most. You missed my whole point, there is No Ex Nihilo! Things always come out of something. This universe is just another example of causation from special information provided by God. It's the atheists that want you to believe that things pop into existance by random chance out of nothing by borrowing energy and truly out of nothing. Bret, please reread my earlier post so that you understand better my logic. You will need this to follow my next two posts.

According to the Bible we are body and spirit and we do not live by bread alone. The first time I read this I was totally mystified by these statements of Jesus. What a difference in these statements when compared to the atheistic description of the universe by Carl Sagan and others. What in the world does this mean and how could this ever be reconciled with what we have learned about nature and how the body and human minds operate? What a conundrum I thought at the time.

From the atheist's perspective, that matter can acquire the ability to become a living thinking being and aware of itself is a wondrous stroke of luck. How odd that the laws of physics would be just so to allow this to happen in a universe that just happened by chance? Or could this be by design as Judeo-Christians have maintained for over five thousand years?  

Let's look briefly at what it takes to develop matter from energy that is capable of organization into biological structures capable of thought. 

An appeal to chance leaves one breathless with the feeling of hopelessness. Just three of at least 20 independent constants of nature must be fine tuned collectively to 215 decimal places so that any similarity to the density of matter in our universe can exist at all. This doesn't even include the contentious early and brief inflationary period that would also required a high degree of fine tuning for the amplitude and time to get this universe to an acceptable configuration.  

This rare stroke of luck must serve as a foundation before atoms can be structured to build our bodies and minds.  We can add at least ten more decimal places to the fine tuning here to account for particle masses and forces necessary for atomic physics to operate acceptably. 

On top of that, the electrical and atomic properties of molecules miraculously have the correct quantum mechanical rules and properties to self organize by Darwinian evolution into brains which produce consciousness and thought.   If string theory is going down the right path, it was estimated that there are about 10 to the 500th power ways to fold Calabi-Yau spaces into a set of physical inter-related laws in a 10 or 11 dimensional manifold.  It's like blindly picking a specially marked gluon out of the entire universe, then doing it again six times in succession without an error.   What this means to the believers in a random chance creation is an even more remote chance of getting the right kind of universe. 

No one has ever worked out the odds of getting physical constants and quantum mechanics just right to support thought since quantum mechanics for molecules is quite complex and difficult and this is in addition to the mystery of how consciousness occurs in the first place.  If by chance someone stumbles upon the solution of this highly improbable design feature someday, it's a sure bet that the convergence of the several physical constants that permits thinking by matter will be extremely small and make the 285 plus 500 decimal places so far look quite insignificant in comparison.  

Consequently, in modern times non-believers, so not to appear that they have lost their minds, desperately appeal to multiverses as their savior for at least some reasonable chance of rationalizing their belief that Nature alone is up to the job of getting thought out of dirt.  

On the other hand, Christians have a ready made solution to the challenge without knowing completely about how it was done. God did it!  It was designed that way! Because it was preplanned, only one universe is necessary.   It's physical constants were fine tuned to incredible detail and it's initial conditions set perfectly by someone that could pull it off and carry out a predetermined plan.   If all of the laws in final form are all deterministic, which I personally believe they are, then the universe can support predestination, which the Bible tells us that it is. (see Psalm 139)   

Unfortunately, this euphoria falls on deaf ears of the non- believer who only cares about how nature can make it happen. For him, nature is all there is.  So an appeal to a personal God, like Christians often do, is like talking to an imaginary friend and he will look at you like you've lost your mind. 

So how can we resolve this impass?Clearly we are here on this planet constructed of atoms and operating within the laws of physics 24/7.  Particle smashers have shown us decisively that matter can be converted to energy and vice versa, so at some point in our history out of energy our particles materialized to build this miraculous place.   

Some say this happened thousands of years ago and others say billiions of years ago but it really makes little difference here. The fact that matter and energy can operate collectively to create consciousness and thought enough to contemplate itself is quite the achievement or fluke of nature whatever your world view.

A Darwinist that has seriously studied cosmology, is forced to conclude, if he is logically consistent, that a Human has a very very special and contingent capability among all animals of contemplating the universe that was provided by a terrific stroke of good fortune. He must believe, in spite of what Sagan proclaimed, that Humans are probably unique or extremely rare at least in the multiverse based on his random luck views of nature. He must concede that humans and this place in the heavens is very special.   

The Christian must agree with him on this point in that humans are each special and unique in God's eyes. We are  all unique based on our genetic code and the way our minds think with our various personality traits. We just disagree with the non-believer on one primary concept: how the information in our genes, physical structures, and minds got here. Did it happen by random chance and natural selection or by design and divine selection?   

We have now reached the foundational issue for virtually everything that exists: the origination of information.  Where does information come from: Random Chance or God?

The atheists tell us that random chance created the laws, the physical constants, the Big Bang, and everything else that followed. Most believe in the multiverse concept driven by chaotic eternal inflation. Andre Linde even worked out some mathematical equations for this hypothesis to provide some credibility for it with his collegues. Otherwise, the average man might think this cult had totally lost their minds.  Somehow, equations make things more credible in our culture (even without any evidence for this claim).

On the other hand, the Bible tells us that the universe is predetermined, that God is the alpha and omega, and knows everything that happened and ever will happen. The book of nature, the information contained in a universe throughout time, has already been written and you and I are but a page in it with all of the information that made up our existance. There is nothing random about this at all. This information is 100% deterministic. 

You and I (our spiritual nature) are right in the middle of this controversy.  Were you planned out and made or were you a fluke of nature? Are those energy patterns whirling around in your mind and making up your body worth their existance in eternity as God desired or just a random fluxuation of energy of no special importance on a cosmic scale.  Do you believe that your spiritual nature as well as other children of God are the ultimate goal of this God-thrown-away universe after accomplishing it's purpose, or that your mind (you) is a throw away fluke of an eternal mindless purposeless chaotic energy and matter generator?     Question

This collision of views is nothing less than a battle for your soul and eternal existance according to Christian belief.    It is worth thinking through carefully and finding the truth, both visions of reality can't be correct!  Choose wrong and you will have a purposeless brief  worldly existance and eternal miserable one. Choose right and you will have a personally challenging purposeful life and eternal existance.  

I might overdo it, if I continue on with the complete post.  I will stop here for the moment, to let you absorb and contemplate this post before proceeding with why you are so special. 

Lee

Last edited by InfinitLee on Sun May 23, 2010 1:40 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Added comments on Ex Nihilo & Grammar)

524Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty *** Happily Surprised! *** Fri May 21, 2010 4:51 pm

lordfry

lordfry

I'm surprised that you missed the division in my questions ...
but I guess I could have been a little clearer!
When I said "Scientifically"... I was trying to exclude any
Divine explanation of things (by definition)!
But ... my questioning did reveal the information that I was seeking!
Lee believes that God popped EVERYTHING (all matter) into existence
from absolutely NOTHING (material) !!! *** Ex Nihilo ***
Below ... I've included the Answer Key!

Scientifically ...
Do you believe that the Universe (which is EVERYTHING) had a beginning?
YES!
If so? ... Then before it began to be ... was there ANYTHING ???
YES!
If so? ... What was it? ... Where did it come from? ... Was it Eternal?
A Singularity! ... We don't know? ... NO!

Biblically ...
Can God create something from nothing? (Not did He ... could He?)
YES!
Did God exist before the Universe came into being?
YES!
If so? ... Where did God reside then? (Trick Question!)
God does NOT reside! God just IS !!!

Bret* 2010

525Young Earth or Old Earth?  Here is where to post your thoughts! - Page 21 Empty Everything and Nothing Fri May 21, 2010 4:52 am

InfinitLee

InfinitLee

Good questions, I'll try to answer them concisely. 
[Bret]- Scientifically ...
Do you believe that the Universe (which is EVERYTHING) had a beginning?

Lee- I don't believe the universe is everything, it is miniscule in information content compared to eternity.   It doesn't include eternity for example with an infinite number of  logical dimensions. It doesn't include mathimatical formulas which are logical for instance. Information can exist independent of matter and energy, like a circle or love. On the other hand, this universe seems to me to be made from informational rules governing relationships between dimensions, one is time. This universe supports causation and development of our spiritual nature (information) which is eternal.   This universe is temporary and limited because of it's time dimension. It is not eternal, and has a limited existance due to entropy. Information is eternal. You are eternal, but not your body. Heaven has a stronger existance than this universe.    

[Bret]- If so? ... Then before it began to be ... was there ANYTHING ???

Lee- there was nothing physical before it started.  God brought it into existance from information that exists in eternity with Him. He created its dimensions and laws at that time  Before then, there were no dimensions or energy in it.  The information which God used to make it resided in eternity with Him. 

[Bret]- If so? ... What was it? ... 

Lee-  Preexisting information, metaphorically speaking like a data file that prooviies the initial conditions, physical constants, rules (physical laws), and. miraculous events to be executed during the execution of the program on God's super Duper Computer.  ( I'm just guessissimg here, I'm sure to amazed when I get there)   The execution time is now during this run of  the program. We have no knowledge of when this is in regards to eternal time (if there is such an equivalent dimension). 

[Bret]- Where did it come from? ... 

Lee- the mind of God

[Bret]- Was it Eternal?

Lee- yes, that is where the information and 'simulation' runs. 

[Bret]- Biblically ...
Can God create something from nothing? (Not did He ... could He?)

Lee- of course, He is the source of our information. I think that is why He wants us to call Him Father (He cares for us and trains us). He has also put a lot of time and energy into creating us and developing our spiritual. characteristics. 

[Bret]- Did God exist before the Universe came into being?

Lee-of course He is eternal

[Bret]- If so? ... Where did God reside then? (Trick Question!)   

Lee- God is spiritual (informational) and  can't be confined to a physical place.  It is like saying, 'Where does a circle live?' Eternity is a non-physical place. 

[Bret]- I am pretty sure that ALL of us will answer these questions the same way!
But ... you have surprised me many times before ... So?

Lee-  I really enjoy surprising you, How did I do this time? Neutral

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 21 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum